Getting On With Life

I wake up the next morning alone in Eric's bed. But, judging by the warmth of the spot beside me, he hasn't be gone all that long. I get up, and as I reach my feet, I cry out in pain and crumple to the floor. My mid-body and my legs feel like they've been ripped off and sewn back on with barbed wire.

"Arielle! I leave you for two seconds and you're already hurting yourself! Jesus christ." Eric curses as he runs in the door and helps me into the kitchen. I sit at his breakfast bar, and prop my legs up on the chair beside me. Eric goes back into his kitchen, and I see styrofoam containers, and judging by the smell of the room, it's food. My stomach growls at the thought.

"What happened to the guys that..." I trail off, but Eric gets my point.

"They're factionless. And the others have been warned, so nothing like this will happen again." Eric says strongly, like he's sure of himself.

"You can't promise that." I reply, and Eric's head drops.

"No, I can't, but if anyone tries again, I won't hesitate to kill them." Eric says coldly, making me avert my eyes. Would he truly go to that great a length just to protect me?

I happen to skim my eyes over the clock, and it's half past noon.

"Holy shit, Eric, I have to get to training! Four will kill me!" I exclaim, and get to my feet to quickly, but I end up back on the floor.

"For fuck sakes Arielle, just chill the hell out. First, you and I are staying here today, second, you need to stop trying to walk, your ankle is injured." Eric instructs, and I am left confused.

"What, why?" I ask.

"I told Four what happened, and he said to just make sure you get better, which is what I intend on doing." Eric says. Wait, what?

"You," I point to Eric, "intend on taking care of me?" I point to my chest.

"Yes." Eric says, and my jaw drops.

"Why do you care for me? All I am is one of your pain-in-the-ass initiates that can't keep her mouth shut. You even hung me over the chasm, which was totally not cool, by the way. You have no reason to like me, but every reason to hate me!" I exclaim, and Eric looks at me with an exasperated look.

"Yes, I do. But I have some ground to make up with you. I need to mend the fences." Eric says, and I am confused, but hurting. That last half of his statement stung a little more than it should have.

"So you don't want me?" I ask, and Eric sighs in annoyance. But I don't get an answer. He stays quiet. "See that you hate me? Yes I can." I reply like a smart ass, and anger flashes in Eric's eyes.

"Arielle, hate is the last thing I feel for you." Eric explains, and my eyes widen.

"Okay."

***

The next day, I made myself go to training. Eric protested, especially after the amazing lazy day we had yesterday, but eventually let me go. We didn't talk all that much, which was fine by me. He dropped a couple hints about feelings for me, but I ignored them at all costs. If he wants me bad enough, then he'll have to wait.

I basically spent the day sleeping and listening to Eric read to me, as I learned he was also an Erudite transfer. We both share a love for novels, more so the novels from before the war, filled with love and scandal.

As I walk into the waiting room for the fear landscape, all eyes fall on me and all conversations cease.

"Hey, everyone get back to business, nothing to see here!" Blake shouts, and her and Meg rush up to me, bringing me back to their seats. The boys stand up to make room, and Zac sits at my feet.

"Thanks, Zac." I tell him, and he nods. I see he is visibly upset.

"I can't believe they did that to you. Desperate sons of bitches." Connor spits out.

I look across the room, and I see Hayley and Sterling sitting together.

"I'm just grateful it wasn't any of you guys." I tell them.

"It still shouldn't have happened, A. It was totally preventable, totally preventable." Zac says, but it sounds like he's talking down about himself more so than the guys that did this to me. I squeeze his shoulder in comfort.

"Zac, I would never ever blame you. It was no one's fault but the guys that are now living factionless. I didn't even let you come with me, so that's all the more reason why it's not your fault." I tell him firmly.

"I should've come anyway, A. I should've been stubborn with you and just escorted you." Zac pouts, and I punch his shoulder.

"Stop it right now. It's not your fault. Stop blaming yourself and move on. Just think, you're not helping me by holding onto this." I remind him, and he nods, admitting that I'm right.

"You're right. Happy to have you back Arielle." Zac says, and I hug him from behind.

"Arielle." Tobias calls, and I make my way into the fear landscape room. As soon as the door shuts, I am engulfed in a bone-crushing hug.

"Four...bruised...ribs..." I struggle to get out. Tobias lets me go, and I smile gratefully at him.

"Sorry." He mutters. "Today, you will be facing all your fears. I'm sorry to throw this on you, but the leaders need an idea of the number of fears everyone has. Everyone saw a couple more of their fears yesterday, but with everything that happened with you..." Tobias trails off, but I get the hint.

"It's all good. But what about, you know, my special abilities?" I ask discreetly, and Tobias nods, thinking of his response.

"Get out of and do everything the way a Dauntless would. Think Dauntless. If you can do that, you'll be good, okay?" Tobias explains as he gets the needle ready, and I nod.

Tobias approaches me with the needle, and he inserts it into my neck.

"Be brave, Arielle."

Sorry everyone, it's a little shorter than the last one. But I'm at 76 reads in two days, I'm so happy! I love you all, thank you so much for getting me here! Have a wonderfully glorious day/night lovelies!