Heated Consults

That night at supper, I sit with Blake, Cole, Sterling, and Hayley. The four of them are super chatty and bubbly, but I am just sitting there, quiet and consumed in my thoughts.

    There was one girl today during the fear sims, and one of her fears is a fear of war. I found it very odd that she chose the most aggressive faction when she fears war, but who am I to judge?

    Anyway, her fear got me thinking about how fearful I am with the impending war. Eric is turning against our faction, and what we are supposed to stand for, and I'm carrying his frickin' baby. Where the hell have I been? How did I not see him acting differently? I mean, if I were in his shoes, I would be having a panic attack every goddamned day because I wouldn't be able to deal with the pressure and guilt of planning to murder an entire society. How is Eric handling this so well? Maybe he's not, or maybe this is what he wants, and he's totally okay with it. But how can any mentally stable human being be okay with murdering a population of people? How is this okay for him?

    I love Eric, but this whole situation is making re-evaluate all of my options, every single one.

    "Hey babe, what's up? Wanna go out for a couple drinks with us?" Hayley interrupts my thoughts, and I look up to see all their eyes on me. Blake's eyes are worried, because of Hayley's request, but I just sigh and shake my head.

    "I'm getting together with Four tonight, and I promised him a couple drinks. But hey, you guys have fun okay, and I'll catch you later." I tell them, with a fake smile plastered on my face, and I head back to my apartment before they can question me any further.

    As I am opening the door, I see Tobias' approaching figure in my peripheral vision. I smile when I see him, and he gives me a tight hug.

    "I've missed you, Tobias." I whisper, and he nods. We walk into my apartment, and we walk straight to the kitchen. I sit down at the table, and Tobias helps himself to a drink.

    "What did you need to talk to me about? You know you can tell me anything, right?" Tobias asks, and I nod.

    "I already know that you know Tobias, Eric told me when we had a fight a few nights ago. I'm just so scared, about the war and now this baby. I mean, I'm so stressed nowadays, and with my shitty luck, I'll hurt the baby because of it." I moan, and Tobias remains silent, mulling over my ramblings.

    "You will be okay, I will make sure you and this baby are okay, even if Eric won't. You're my sister, Elle, and I'm not going to let that prick ruin this for you." Tobias fumes, and I shake my head.

    "Tobias," I begin to debate, but Tobias shakes his head.

    "No, Elle, it's not okay what he's doing. I know you love him, but he's hurting you, and I hate to see you like this. I don't want you hurting, so please do what is right for you, and talk to him or something. I'll even stay in the room if you want, but just-"

    "You think I'm scared of him?" I accuse, and Tobias looks at me worriedly. He's scared for me, go figure; once a protective brother, always a protective brother.

    "I don't want him to hurt you, I haven't trusted Eric since the day I met him, and I won't start now." Tobias states, and all I can do is nod.

    Before I can open my mouth again, I hear the door to the apartment open. Tobias and I look up, and we see Eric walking in the door. He sees Tobias, and glares coldly at him.

    "Am I interrupting something?" Eric snarls, and my stomach tightens, knowing that a fight is likely imminent.

    "Not at all." Tobias beats me to my own response, and I turn to glare at him, asking him through my eyes, what in the freaking hell are you doing?!

    "Oh, so you wouldn't mind if I joined this conversation, Four?" Eric proposed, and I feel like I'm not even in the room, the two of them are so involved in the tit-for-tat game that I am growing rather frustrated.

    "We were talking about the baby, Eric." I admit, and anger flashes behind his icy glare.

    "Why in the hell are you talking to my girlfriend about my baby, man? Where do you come in to that?" Eric taunts, and I roll my eyes. Men and their bloody testosterone fights, jeez.

    "The baby is going to be my niece, Eric, so I guess I'm kind of in the picture." Tobias counters, and Eric laughs dryly.

    "You two aren't even related, so the best you're going to get is maybe being a godparent?" Eric retorts, and by this time, I am so angry that I slam my fist on the table.

    "Enough, the both of you." I snap, and they both look at me in surprise and shock, as they both forgot that I was even in the room. "Yes, Eric, Tobias is going to be the uncle to my baby because he has been the brother that I never had for most of my life, and that is final." I finalize, and Eric just stares at Tobias angrily. "And Four, why are you continuing to egg him on? You two are acting like a pair of five year olds, grow the hell up. And I'm not something you two can fight over, and especially not while I am just sitting here right in front of both of you. If you two are going to continue your petty little fight, get out in the hall and have at it. But I don't want to hear it." I concur irritably, and both boys look remorseful of their actions, Tobias more so than Eric.

    "Sorry, Elle, we're done." Tobias apologizes, and I look to Eric.

    "Sorry." Eric mutters.

    I nod to both of them, and rise from my seat.

    "Goodnight." I droned, and without another word, I head for the bedroom. Right before I shut the door though, I hear Tobias and Eric.

    "You need to stop hurting her, Eric. She's breaking, and it's killing me to see her like this." Tobias tells him, and I already know, without even seeing Eric, that he is fuming.

    "You have no right to come in here and accuse me of anything. You have no idea what you're talking about. I love her, and I don't need you to approve my decisions regarding our relationship. You need to step the fuck back, Four." Eric threatens, and just as I am about to run out to break up the impending fight, Tobias speaks one last time.

    "No, you don't need me, but Arielle does, and she will always be my sister, and I won't hesitate to protect my family. Remember that, Eric."

Still the fights between these two, hmmm. Hope all you lovelies have a fantastic New Year!