What Are We?

It's been a week since Alison decided she wanted to come home

It's been a week since Alison decided she wanted to come home. Her meeting with Emily was all the confirmation she needed that it was time to stop running.  

Alison has been staying at CeCe's apartment in downtown Philly.  As she sits alone, she pulls a burner phone from her pocket and dials the only number she has memorized.

Alison's POV

It's been a week since I saw Emily, and the separation is killing me.  I need to talk to her, I need to hear her voice.  I reach into my pocket and pull out the burner phone CeCe purchased for me and decide to call her.  I'm hesitant at first; what if she doesn't want to hear from me?  What if that kiss in the warehouse was a one time thing?  I shake my head and decide to take the plunge.  I dial her number and hold my breath.

E:"Hello?" She sounds worried at first, but then I remember that she answered a phone call from an unknown number.

A:"Hi Em. It's Ali"

E:"Ali? Oh my god, are you ok?"

A: "I'm ok, I just needed to hear your voice. I miss you."

E:"I miss you too. When are you coming home?"

A:"That's part the of the reason I'm calling. I need to know that it's safe for me to come home.  Have you, or any of the girls heard from A?"

E:"No, we haven't heard anything. Ali, please come home.  After...after the warehouse, I haven't been able to stop thinking about you. I want you here, I need you here."

At her words, I can't help but smile.  How could I have ever doubted what she felt for me? I love this girl and I want nothing more than to spend every minute with her, but, I also don't want to put her or my friends in danger. 

A: "Em, you have no idea how happy it makes me to hear you say that.  I want nothing more than to come home. I don't like being away from you either, but, I also don't want to put you or the girls in danger.  A is after me, not you.  I don't know what I would do if something happened to you."

E: "Ali, you need to realize that I am safer when I'm with you.  When we're apart, all I do is wonder and worry if you're ok. I want you to come home, stop hiding, we all want you here.  We'll go with you to the police station and put all of this to rest."

How can I say no to her?  I feel the exact same way.  I've proven that I can't stay away from her over the past two years.  When I'm away from her, all I do is wonder what she's up to and who she's spending her time with because I want it to be me.  I can almost hear her heart break over the phone with the worry that I may not come home and that we'll be forced to see each other in secret, if at all. I can't break her heart again, I want to be the one to put it back together.

A: "You're right.  I want to come home, but I need you to help me."

E: "Tell me what you need me to do and I'll do it."

A:  "First, I need to see the girls.  I don't want the first time they see me to be in a police station. Do you think you could get them to agree to meet me at 5683 Cherry Tree Lane in Philly tomorrow night, at 8? I'm staying with CeCe."

E: "Of course...Ali, I have to ask you something before you see the girls though.  What are we?"

I take a breath, I knew that this question was going to come up sooner or later.  I know that I want to be with Emily, I can feel it with ever fiber in my being.  I know that she has a right to ask this question, but the tone in her voice is questioning whether I want to be seen with her or if I want to keep her a secret.  I can't be surprised, it would be just like the old Ali to hide her away because I was trying to protect my reputation; screw my reputation, I'm in love with Emily Fields and I want everyone to know it. 

A:  "Em, I'm yours.  You have my heart and I want the girls to know that we're together, I don't want to hide that.  I know the old Ali would have worried more about her reputation, but I don't care anymore. "

I can almost hear her smile through the phone and I'm immediately relieved. 

E:  " I love you Ali. I'll talk to the girls tonight and call you tomorrow when we're on our way.  Please be safe."

A:  "I will, I love you too Em.  I'll see you tomorrow."

As I hang up the phone, I take a breath.  I'm finally going home.  I'm going to see my best friends, I'm going back to Rosewood, I'm going to go back to living my life. But, best of all, I get to have Emily.  With that thought, I decide to turn in for the night in anticipation of what tomorrow will bring.