What Does This Mean for Us?

The girls have finally reached the end of their senior year.  Rosewood Police Department finally caught "A", who actually turned out to be Paige with a little help from Lucas.  Emily couldn't believe that the girl she had once dated had also decided to torment her and her friends.  During their Prom, they received threatening messages that said "with all the liars in one place, they were making it way too easy" which just so happened to be right after Alison and Emily had celebrated their six month anniversary.  The girls had not shied away from celebrating and it looks like that is what sent Paige over the edge.  They had notified the police right away when they all received that text and they were there within minutes.  They found Paige in Ezra's old classroom with duct tape, ropes and a gun, dressed in the infamous black hoody, like she was planning on kidnapping one of the liars.  

The girls were now a month away from graduation and coming to the realization that they won't all be together after the summer was over.  Hanna had gotten into the Fashion Institute for Design and Merchandising, Spencer got into UPenn just like she planned, Aria decided to go to the Savannah College of Art and Design, and Ali got into both Danby and Hollis but hadn't decided which one she wanted to go to yet.  Emily had gotten into both Pepperdine University and Danby, both on full swimming scholarships.  She hadn't told Ali yet about Pepperdine but knew that they needed to have the discussion of what they were going to do.  

Emily's POV

I've been sitting in my room making a Pros and Cons list for both Danby and Pepperdine for the past two hours.  I couldn't feel more like Spencer if I tried.  Danby has one big Pro... Alison.  Pepperdine was 3,000 miles away from the love of my life but was also outside of Rosewood.  Ever since "A", I've been wanting to get out of Rosewood and see something different.  I also haven't told Ali that I got into Pepperdine yet and I know that I need to.  If there is one thing that I am the most proud of about our relationship is that we don't lie to each other or keep secrets so the fact that I haven't told her yet, is making me sick.  I pull out my phone and decide that I need to get it over with.

A:  Hey Em.  What's up?

E: Hey, do you think  you could come over?  There is something that I need to talk to you about.

A: Is everything ok?

E: Yeah, I just really need to talk to you.

A: Ok, I'll be there in ten minutes.  I love you.

E: I love you too, see you soon.

I all of a sudden have a knot in my stomach and can't seem to stop pacing.  I hear a knock on my front door and I take one last deep breath and make my way downstairs.  I open the door and I can't help but become more nervous as I look into those beautiful ocean blue eyes. 

"Hey, Ali" I greet her as I pull her in for a hug.  I can feel that she's tense and that she's nervous, "Ali, it's ok.  I'm ok, I just need your opinion on something because you play just as big of a part in this as I do."  She steps inside and we make our way over to the couch in the living room.  

Ali's POV

I don't know what is going on with Emily, but I can't shake the feeling like my world is about to be turned upside down.  As we sit on the couch she reaches over and takes my hand in hers, her palms are sweating so I know this is going to be really bad.  "Em, whatever it is please just tell me.  You're starting to really freak me out."  She gets up and goes to the kitchen table and comes back with two pieces of paper, "I need you to look at these and tell me what you think."  I take the pieces of paper from her and my heart drops. She hands me two acceptance letters... one for Danby and one for Pepperdine.  Pepperdine is in California, that means being separated for four years. 

 As tears begin to fill my eyes, I look up at Emily, "so what does this mean for us?  I don't want you to choose Danby just because of me.  Pepperdine is a great school, Em.  I'm proud of you."  She looks back at me with questioning eyes, she knows that I'm scared about possibly being separated, "Danby is also a great school.  Their swimming program is just as competitive as Pepperdine's."  

"It sounds like you would have a great opportunity at either school.  I know Danby was always at the top of your list for schools, so what is it about Pepperdine that is making you reconsider?"  I look into her eyes, trying to see what is really bothering her.  She looks hurt and anxious but I don't know why yet.  

"Danby has always been one of my dream schools, but that was before 'A'.  Pepperdine gets me out of Rosewood; I once told my mom that college would be my way out and that I wouldn't want to be comfortable living and dying in Rosewood.  But, then you happened and I started to view Rosewood in a different light.  I started to remember that this is the place where we fell in love.  We had our first kiss here, our first date, our first time... we've had a lot of firsts here and I started to rethink leaving.  When you got into Danby, I was ecstatic because I imagined us getting an apartment together and continuing our journey as a couple and then I got my letter from Pepperdine.  I had forgotten that I even applied... I applied when I was dating Paige.  Pepperdine was going to be our way out... little did I know that it was also a way for her to get me all to herself.  I want you to tell me what you want me to do.  I know that you're it for me Ali but I need to know that if I choose Pepperdine that it won't hurt us."

Emily's POV

Ali looks into my eyes and every fear I had washes away.  I know that we're strong enough to conquer something as small as college.  I would do anything and everything to make sure that we never grew apart.  She finds her voice and smiles, "Em, I can't make this decision for you but I want you to know that whatever you decide, I'll be right behind you.  I'm your biggest fan no matter what and I'll be damned if we let something like college tear us apart.  We've been through a lot worse."  She reaches out and tucks my hair behind my ear, "I love you, Em.  No matter what, I am in this forever."  I smile and lean forward to capture her lips with mine.