Brett

Brett sighed, leaning against the lockers and crossing his arms anxiously as he waited for you to come to your locker

Brett sighed, leaning against the lockers and crossing his arms anxiously as he waited for you to come to your locker. You had been ignoring him for days, and you had gotten good enough at avoiding him that he hadn't gotten the chance to catch you alone. He didn't understand what had gone wrong, but he had the suspicion that it had something to do with something he had done.
He sighed as he watched the other kids flow past your locker, but sadly none of them were you. He was prepared to wait until you showed up, even if it meant he was late to lacrosse practice, but it turned out that he didn't have to.
Someone stopped in front of your locker, but Brett quickly realized it wasn't you. Instead, it was one of your friends, a girl named Tamara, and it looked like she was grabbing your stuff for you.
"Tamara!" Brett called, walking over and shoving a couple people aside.
Tamara took one look at him and rolled her eyes, turning back to your locker. Brett stopped next to her, leaning against the locker next to yours.
"What the hell is wrong with Y/n?" he asked. "She hasn't been talking to me at all."
"Why would she?" Tamara asked, turning towards Brett and raising her eyebrows.
"Uh, because I'm her boyfriend?" he suggested.
"Oh, really?" Tamara asked. "Funny how you're her boyfriend when she's just a game to you and your friends."
"What?" Brett demanded. "What are you talking about?"
"She knows about the bet," Tamara told him icily.
Brett froze, his breath catching in his throat. He wanted to deny it, to tell Tamara that whoever told you that was lying, but the worst part was that it was actually true. It wasn't like he had totally played you, in fact, Brett had fallen for you on the first date. But the only reason he had asked you out was because his friend John bet him that Brett couldn't find a date faster than him.
You were sweet and you didn't have many guys after you in the first place, and Brett would admit that he had chosen you because he knew you would say yes. But that didn't mean he didn't actually care about you, in fact you were one of the most important people in his life. He had fallen hard for you, and things had been going perfectly for the past four months, until this.
"That-" Brett started.
"Save it," Tamara snapped. "You're an awful person, you know that? You're the only guy who ever made her feel wanted, and she was just a bet to you."
"That isn't true!" Brett cried.
Tamara crossed her arms over her chest, looking up at him with raised eyebrows. "You have three seconds to prove that."
Brett took a deep breath. "Okay, I did ask her out because of the bet. But after I spent more than two minutes with her I realized I actually liked her! God, she's-she's the best girlfriend I've ever had. She's funny and gorgeous and I don't care what she thinks about herself. I know she's amazing, and she should too. I love her, more than I've ever loved any other girl in my life!"
Tamara pursed her lips, not exactly sure what to do about Brett's loving outburst. But she could tell he was being genuine, and she didn't want your relationship to get thrown out the window over some petty bullshit.
"Fine," Tamara said. "I'll tell you where she is-"
"Thank you-"
"But," she added. "You tell her everything you just told me. You tell her about the bet too, and maybe you can fix this."

You sat in one of the plushy seats in the auditorium, waiting for Tamara to bring you your stuff so you could leave. You wouldn't normally have taken such extreme measures, but you were incredibly hurt and avoiding Brett seemed like your best option right now. You were confident he would get the message eventually, but as the doors to the auditorium opened, you saw that that wasn't the case.
You looked over you shoulder just as Brett was walking into the deserted auditorium, and you immediately jumped out of your seat. His blue eyes caught yours, and you turned your back on him angrily and started to stalk away.
"Y/n, wait!" he cried.
You huffed, ignoring his pleading voice and heading for the doors behind the stage.
"You're not going to get out that way!" he called, causing you to freeze.
"Why not?" you demanded. "Did you have one of your lacrosse assholes block the door?"
"No," Brett said, a little hurt that you would think that. "There's an alarm on it. You can't get out unless you want the whole school thinking there's a fire."
"Everyone's going home anyway," you said bitterly. "Just leave me alone, okay? I don't want to talk to you."
"Y/n, please," he begged. "I don't understand-"
"You don't understand?" you demanded, your voice echoing in the wide space of the auditorium. "What don't you understand about me being upset?"
Brett was silent, and he couldn't think of anything to say as you went off on him.
"What?" you snapped. "You're not going to lie to me again? That's pretty surprising considering you've lied to me this whole time."
"I didn't lie-"
"Didn't lie?" you repeated. "You didn't lie to me about how your friends dared you to ask out the fat loser girl, huh? So when you asked me on a date that was totally you, and not just me being the butt of some whole, humiliating joke?"
Brett opened his mouth, but you wouldn't stop. Hot, angry tears began to spill from your eyes and at this point you couldn't fight them anymore.
"God do you know how I felt when you asked me out?" you questioned. "Do you even know what's it like to feel unwanted? You were the first guy who ever made me feel beautiful. You made me feel like I was worth it, and...and it wasn't even real."
"That's not true!" Brett told you, guilt washing through him at the fact that he was the one making you cry like this. "I...I did ask you out on a bet, okay? That part was true. But it wasn't because of the way you look."
"Well, that's what everybody's saying," you told him, your voice laced with bitterness and hurt. "They...they said that there would have to be a bet for someone to even ask a girl like me out."
"Well they're wrong," Brett promised you. "And I'm going to snap whoever said that in half, because you're beautiful, Y/n. I knew that the minute I asked you out. And I know it was a bet, but it took me all of three minutes to fall in love with you, okay? As soon as I picked you up that night, I knew that there wasn't going to be another girl."
You took a shaky breath. "You actually care about me?"
"Of course," Brett told you. "God, how could I not? You're gorgeous and you make me laugh. You're the first girl I've dated that didn't obsess over guys and looking flawless all the time, but that just makes you more beautiful to me. I'm sorry I lied to you, but I'm in love with you, Y/n. You're not just a bet to me. You're so much more than that."
He stepped forward, reaching out to brush a stray tear from your cheek. He leaned down and you closed your eyes, melting into him as he pressed his lips against yours. You reached up wrapping your arms around his neck and pulling him as close as possible.
His thumb trailed across your cheekbone, and you could practically feel how much he loved you. In that moment, right there and then, you had never felt more beautiful.
"I am so sorry," Brett whispered when he pulled away. "I never meant to make you feel like that."
"It's okay," you told him, reaching out to grab his hand. "You've got the rest of your life to make up for it."
Brett sighed. "This is gonna be painful isn't it?"
"Very," you told him. "If you consider you taking me to go see that new comedy playing tonight painful."
Brett smiled and squeezed your hand. "I think I can live with that."