Stiles

"Okay, so I'm helping you with biology and history?" you asked Scott as you hopped out of your car

"English too," he said uneasily as he shut your passenger side door. "...and math. You know what? Let's just say I need help with everything."
"I can do that," you told him with a shrug. "My mom's working late so we'll have the house to ourselves for a while. We should probably go inside, cause it's already five and I'm pretty sure you don't want to fail senior year."
Scott shivered. "God, no."
"We better get started then," you told him. "I just have to check the mail first."
You walked down your driveway, opening up the mailbox and collecting the stack of envelopes. You sorted through them mindlessly, pausing when you came to a thick envelope with the letters NYU emblazoned on it.
"Oh my god," you whispered, looking down at the envelope in your hand and swallowing thickly. "Scott, oh my god."
"Is that what I think it is?" Scott asked, walking over and peering down at the envelope.
You nodded, at a total loss for words. Anxiety crept into your chest, and you could feel your stomach begin to twist itself into nervous knots. You had applied to NYU early, and after months of anxious waiting, it appeared you were finally going to find out whether you would make it into one of your top picks or not.
"Open it!" Scott cried.
You reached forward to tear it open, only to stop yourself in a moment of fear.
"What are you doing?" Scott asked.
"What if it's not an acceptance letter?" you asked, biting your lip and looking up at Scott.
"Well, whatever it says, it's not going to change whether you open it or not," he pointed out. "And besides, you already got into UCLA, so it's not like you wouldn't have anywhere else to go.
You shot him a look, and he shot you one right back. You and Scott had been best friends since third grade, right along with Stiles. It was an understatement to say you were a nervous person, and Scott knew how happy you had been to apply to NYU. It was one of your top schools, and he wasn't about to let you be afraid of nothing more than a letter.
"Would it be that thick if it was a rejection letter?" Scott asked you with raised eyebrows.
You sighed, looking back down at the letter and tearing it open. You tore the letter out of the envelope, pulling it up to your face as scanning the page.
"Well?" Scott asked.
You broke into a grin, your whole face lighting up in a display that could rival the sun. "I got in!"
"That's awesome!" Scott cried, letting out a cheer as you wrapped your arms around him.
"Oh my god," you breathed as he set you down. "I got into NYU. I have to tell everyone at the meeting tonight."
Scott paused, his excitement fading as he scratched the back of his neck. "Maybe that's not such a good idea."
"What?" you asked. "Why not?"
"Well, you know how much Stiles wants us to stay together..."
You frowned. "Yeah, but I still haven't decided where I'm going yet. He knows we can't stay by his side forever right?"
Scott pursed his lips. "Honestly, I don't know."
"What am I supposed to do, lie to him?"
"Well, I didn't say that," Scott told you. "All I'm saying is that maybe you should let him know when you're alone."
"Oh," you said, thinking on it. "Yeah, good idea. Come on, we should probably go study. Wouldn't want you to miss out on UC Davis."
Scott smiled, watching as you collected the rest of the mail and walked up your porch. He was happy for you, but he couldn't help but feel a small pang of sadness. If you went to NYU, you would be all the way on the opposite end of the country. Scott understood why you were considering leaving, and while he was bummed out about it, he knew it was Stiles that would take your acceptance the worst.
While Scott had advised you not to tell him in front of anyone else, it wasn't just because Stiles was hellbent on keeping the pack together. Little did you know, the boy harbored unexpected feelings for you, and he had since the fourth grade. Scott knew Stiles wouldn't take it well, and he cared too much about his best friend to let him experience that reaction in front of everyone.