chapter 28

Montgomery's point of view

I sat up on the bed, surprised to see my mother. Her face full of concern and disappointment. I blinked a few times before pushing her so that I can stand up.

"Please don't walk away from me," She stood up immediately after I did.

"Shouldn't you be at work?"

"And then coming home to an empty house? Where were you last night?" Her fingers were quick on my wrist when I walked away.

"I went out with my friends, mum. The winter formal is tomorrow. I was just getting my tuxedo ready," I lied right to her face.

"Oh. How is Melody? Have you seen her dress yet?" Her tensed features soften.

I sighed a bit too loud.

"What's wrong?" She set me back on my bed.

"We had an argument. But don't worry, I'm going to apologise to her and we'll be back to normal before the winter formal," I assured her.

"Are you going to do that now?" She asked, seeing that I didn't move from my seat.

"Maybe later," I shrugged and she went out of my room for me to get dress.

Hours went by and all I'm doing is playing video games in my boxers. I had called Zach earlier and he told me everything that has happened. I did remember going out of Mel's house.

I miss her so much. I called Zach and he told me what happened. I wanted to go to her house but Zach suggested that I stayed away for awhile. I texted her in the afternoon but only to be furious.

It's bad enough that I stayed away for a day but staying away until winter formal? I sighed and went downstairs to get a snack.

The night falls and it was the morning of winter formal. The school bell ring just as I parked my car.

"Hurry up and get to class, people," A teacher shouted in the hallways.

I ducked into homeroom class and immediately locked eyes with Mel. She looked away and I went to my seat. The teacher was taking attendance while the class were buzzing about winter formal.

"Please? I wanna see your dress. I'm really sorry for ditching you yesterday," I hear Sherri said to Mel as I sat near them.

"No way! It's a surprise," Mel giggled and I smiled secretly as I missed hearing her.

"Can I guess the colour then?"

"Be my guess."

"Blue-ish grey?" Mel shook her head.

Like the colour of Mel's eyes. I can stare at them and get lost in her curiosity.

"Black?" Nope.

"Like the colour of my soul," I had joked once and she pushed me so hard that I fell to the ground like how I fell for her.

"Red?" Nope.

Like her favourite lipstick that she wore countless time on our dates.