Lost and Found

She was on her way home from work when she received a call from Bea’s mother. She was worried with Beatriz who haven’t gone home yet and they couldn’t reach her phone. When she asked what happened, her mom told her that it was her brother’s death anniversary today. Jhoana immediately understood and made a U-turn to look for her. She searched everywhere: the cemetery, the park, her condo and all the places she thought she would go when Beatriz wanted to be alone. Then it hit her that she would want a distraction rather than peace of mind so she went to a bar where they used to party and hang out.

When Jhoana walked in the club, she immediately found Beatriz in the middle of the dance floor, moving her body to the beat of the music she knew she loved dancing to; getting herself lost in the song like it was nobody’s business. Jhoana wanted to kiss her right there and thank her for choosing a bar that was going to be safe for someone who wanted to get drunk and just forget the world like her.

The place was a high-end bar and only members could access it, so it didn’t worry her too much that she went all alone there because Jhoana knew all the customers who usually go and party in the club.

Jhoana didn’t walk to her right away, instead she just stood from a comfortable distance and watched Beatriz intently. She had always enjoyed to watch her from afar. She always had this kind of peace whenever she looked at her, especially when she was not aware.

She wanted to smile for seeing her so happy and dancing but it pierced her heart knowing that deep inside, she had been going through a lot lately. That was actually the very reason she was there. It was not because she was celebrating something but she was trying to distract herself from the pain of her brother’s death anniversary.

Jhoana noticed that a few pairs of eyes started to fixate on Beatriz, also watching in awe as she moved her hips gracefully along with the music. Some of the girls went to dance with her while their boyfriends just bobbed their heads to the beat as they followed their dates. She always had that kind of effect on other people. Her joy and happiness was contagious that the people around her couldn’t help but laugh with her whenever she cracks a joke. She was always cheering other people up and for Jhoana, she was the most selfless person she had ever known. But she never let people know whenever she was sad and that was when she always looked out for Beatriz. Jhoana was grateful for the trust Beatriz gave her that she was comfortable enough to open up and be vulnerable to her. And Jhoana loved her even more for that.

Jhoana finally let a small smile escape from her lips when Beatriz started to laugh as she grooved her body with her newfound friends. When she couldn’t wait any longer, she finally made her way to Jhoana, her body slightly moving to the beat of a new song blasting from the speakers. And when she got to her, she held her waist and pulled her body to her. Beatriz immediately wrapped her arms around her neck, recognizing her touch and scent right away. She smiled at her and Jhoana knew that she was only a little bit tipsy.

Jhoana wanted to thank her for the second time that night for looking out for herself very well.

They danced for a few minutes then she leaned in to her ear and spoke through the loud music. “Are you here to take me home?”

She just gave her an apologetic smile when she leaned back and waited for Jhoana's answer. Her face fell and she pouted adorably. “But I don’t want to go home yet…”

Jhoana understood where she was coming from so she just held her there and continued dancing. “Then come with me,” she said as she moved her body with hers and though she was not much of a great dancer, Beatriz made her feel confident enough to dance with her. “Let’s travel together.”

She knew it was a selfish thing to do— running away from everything— but she wanted to be selfish for her. For Beatriz, who had always thought of others before herself.

She giggled and stopped moving then raised an eyebrow at her. “Niyayaya mo ba ako makipagtanan sa’yo?”

Jhoana laughed at her remark before she answered. “I didn’t think about it that way. But yeah, sure,” she said back, winking at her.

Beatriz appeared to be contemplating her suggestion as she stared at her. “Where are we going though?” She asked, her eyebrows pulled together.

“I don’t know yet,” she answered, not really having a plan in mind. “But I’d go anywhere with you,” she whispered as softly as her gaze at Beatriz.

It was then when they finally noticed that the upbeat music was replaced with a mellow one and every couple was dancing on the floor with them.

Beatriz smiled gratefully at her before she wrapped her arms tighter around her neck, pulling her closer. “You’d do that for me?”

“I’d do anything for you, baby bubu,” Jhoana said as a matter-of-factly, kissing her chin.

Beatriz didn’t answer and just buried her face on Jhoana's neck. They swayed to the soft music in the background and pulled each other as close as humanly possible.

Jhoana heard her sigh and she knew that Beatriz finally somehow felt better. After a few moments, she finally broke the silence between them.

“Thank you baby bubu for being here. You always know where to find me,” she whispered but enough for Jhoana to hear.

Jhoana planted a kiss on her temple as she answered as softly. “Only because you always let me.”