Midnight Memories

In sixty minutes, the year would end and another one would begin. It meant a new and fresh start for everyone as well as for Jhoana.

Her family decided to welcome the new year in her condo unit since it was more convenient for them because of their job requirements than to celebrate in Batangas. As her sibling and cousins started the countdown together, she preferred to go to the rooftop of the building and do her own countdown. It was the best place to watch the fireworks, anyway. But when she finally got there, she realized it was the last place she wanted to be. The place just held a painful memory to her.

“Oh, Jho. Nandito ka pala..” She heard a voice she knew by heart spoke from her side. She glanced at her left and saw the girl that was once the love of her life. She was sitting on the floor where she laid a blanket to lie on.

“Hi, Jho,” she greeted her. “Dito kaya maganda manood ng fireworks mamaya,” she said by a way of explanation for her presence.

She smiled at Jhoana but she noticed it didn’t reach her beautiful eyes. “I know. We were here together exactly a year ago when…” She trailed.

Jhoana didn’t want to dwell on the memory so she just ignored it. “Ang bilis ng panahon. New Year na naman. Ang daming nangyari ‘no?”

She patted the space next to hers, gesturing Jho to sit beside her. They were still friends after all. They remained good friends even after what happened last year.

“I know! 2017 has been a roller coaster ride for me,” she answered, lying her back on the blanket and staring at the night sky. “For us…” She added.

“It’s been a year,” Jho suddenly blurted out before she could even stop herself. She realized that it couldn’t be helped to bring the topic up since it was only the two of them and they were on the same spot where their sudden break up happened. Before she could even react, Jho spoke again. “Namiss kita ah, ngayon lang ata tayo nagkasama ng tayong dalawa lang.”

“Ikaw kasi eh. Kasalanan mo—”

“Ako na naman? Inaaway mo na naman ako ah,” She teased. And just like that, the tension between them was lifted and they were back to being JUST friends. It had always been like that between them. And it was one of the things she loved about her.

She pouted in a way Jho had always found irresistable. Jhoana would’ve kissed her right there at that moment, but things were different now with them. “Hindi naman eh, sorry na,” she said.

“Okay lang, sanay naman ako na lagi kang galit sa akin,” Jho answered, shaking her head as she tried to make her feel guilty.

She just laughed at her. “Yung totoo, wala ka man lang happy memories sa akin ‘no?” Beatriz asked. “Puro bad lang ata eh.”

“Hindi ah. Siyempre merong happy memories yan!”

“Sige nga, give me five?” She said, challenging her.

“Ikaw muna.”

“Ang daya..” She said, pouting again. “Pero sige,” she conceded. She chuckled at her reaction.

She sat up and looked around as she started recalling their happy times, after a few seconds she returned her gaze to her then spoke, “First, it was those nights when you would call me then magssoundtrip lang tayo over the phone. Hanggang makatulog ako.” She smiled fondly at the memory.

Jhoana snorted. “May nakahanda akong different playlists nun palagi eh! Effort ko kaya.”

She smiled softly at her and she suddenly remembered the old times. It made Jhoana's heart ache a bit at the memory. “I know. And I really loved those times. Next, those times when would just stay up all night to play Would-You-Rather and 20 Questions. Those were really fun to play with you!” She exclaimed as she started to laugh.