― s i x. On the Sly

CHAPTER SIX

As if my day couldn't have gotten off to a better start than waking up to the sound of pebbles pattering against my window like raindrops

As if my day couldn't have gotten off to a better start than waking up to the sound of pebbles pattering against my window like raindrops. It was like the night of the fight all over again, the sound of rain falling from the sky plaguing my ears.

     I grumpily ripped away the blanket and walked over to the window. I drew back the curtains which allowed the morning glow of the sun to slip into my room. I squinted my eyes as a natural instinct. Once my eyes had adjusted to the sudden burst of light, I slid up the sash window.

I poked my head out of the window to find Lzzy with someone (I didn't know) standing by the pavement outside my house. I recognised the person with Lzzy, he was the guy with platinum blond hair that I saw hang out with Lzzy a lot.

     Lzzy had a handful of pebbles. She drew back her hand behind her head prepared to release another rock at my window.

     "What the fuck?" I bellowed.

     "Rapunzel, Rapunzel let down your hair!" Lzzy shouted back.

     I looked over at the digital clock on my bedside drawer. "It's seven in the morning!"

     "Did you forget about our breakfast date?" Lzzy cupped her hands around her mouth to project her voice. Oh frick, I did forget. "Get your ass down here!"

     I sighed, "I'll be down in a minute!"

     My bedroom door swung open wildly and my dad burst into my bedroom worriedly. "Kenna, what's happening?"

     "It's just Lzzy," I explained.

     Dad walked over to the window to see what was the commotion. "G'morning, Mr Andrews!" Lzzy waved from the pavement.

     My dad waved back. "So you're friends with Serpents now?" he asked me.

     "No, it's just Liz." I started shoving my dad out of my bedroom. "I'm having breakfast with her. Now, get out of here I need to change."

★ ★ ★

I headed downstairs with my school bag slung over one shoulder after getting ready. Lzzy was slouching by the sidewalk with a cigarette in her hand while the platinum-blond-haired guy stood dully while waiting for me.

I didn't expect that Lzzy would invite someone else for our breakfast date, let alone a Serpent.

     I yawned to announce my arrival which took Lzzy by surprise as she suddenly snapped to an upright position.