― s i x t e e n. Lipstick Lullaby

CHAPTER SIXTEEN

I picked up my phone and called Lzzy

I picked up my phone and called Lzzy. I could always text her but she never reads her messages until three days later. Besides, I could talk to her, I haven't seen her in awhile.

     The other line rings several times before Lzzy finally picks up. "Hey Liz," I spoke into the phone.

     "What's up, Ken Doll," said the other line.

I rolled my eyes at the nickname. "Have you heard? Fp's coming out," I said. It felt uncomfortable to say his name like that, like a friend, I've always called him Jughead's dad. Also, by the way I said it, it sounds like he's gay.

Lzzy sighs, "Yep. It's old news, Kenna. I heard about it days ago."

"Well. . . they're throwing him a retirement party at the Whyte Wyrm, are you coming?"

Lzzy doesn't reply immediately, "Probably not. I have curfew."

     I groaned, "A lot of Serpents are gonna be there. I feel awkward."

"Why does it matter? You work there, you're gonna be busy serving people not interacting with them."

"Yeah, I'm not working that day."

Lzzy pauses for a moment. "You can always hang out with the Jensen siblings. Also, I heard you've gotten close to Sweet Pea, just hang out with them."

"Pleaseeeee," I pleaded like a child, "It'd be more fun with you there. 'Sides, I haven't seen you in awhile."

No reply.

"Pwetty pwease?" I continued.

The other line chuckles, "Gross. Alright, fine. Fuck it. But I'm gonna get really drunk."

"Nice!" I cheered, "Not about the drunk part but about you coming, make good choices!"

     "What are you, my mum?"

     "Your mum doesn't even care about your well-being."

     "Eh, true. My mum hates me," she laughs.

★ ★ ★

I wasn't working that day but I still went to the Whyte Wyrm early. They were still setting up and prepping for the retirement party. Which honestly is so ridiculous, what even is Jughead's dad retiring from? Isn't he only coming up fifty?