― f i v e. Wrong Time, Wrong Place

CHAPTER FIVE

I couldn't stop thinking about Jughead joining the Southside Serpents for days

I couldn't stop thinking about Jughead joining the Southside Serpents for days. It had plagued my mind. I had to ask him about it. I just felt so nervous about talking to Jughead. We haven't really talked since he found out about the affair.

     I gathered up the courage for a few days. Clearing my mind of all worries and anxiety. I really wanted to talk to Jughead about it and also finally reconcile.

     I had nothing to do today anyways as I was home alone. Dad went for the open house, and Archie, well I don't really know where the fuck he is, but the point is I should probably get out of the house as well.

     I left the house and made my way to Sunnyside Trailer Park which was all the way in the Southside of Riverdale.

I strayed away from the sidewalk as not to bump into any shady people in the streets so that I won't get into any trouble. Especially with the Southside Serpents, but mostly just Sweet Pea.

The Southside of Riverdale wasn't as savage as everyone made it out to be. It was just like any other part of Riverdale except things felt dodgy and unwelcoming. Or maybe I'm just being cynical.

I turned into the trailer park when I saw the rusty sign that broadly displayed the words 'Sunnyside Trailer Park'. Rows upon rows of trailers lining up next to each other.

Honestly, I have no idea where Jughead's trailer is. I have only been there once or twice as a kid with Archie as he had to take care of me. It was going to take me awhile to find his trailer.

People were looking at me suspiciously as I looked high and low for Jughead's trailer which made me feel uncomfortable. I guess this is how the Southsiders feel when they go to the Northside.

I reached the back of the trailer park where there was a was trailer with the name 'Jones' on the mailbox. I walked up the tiny staircase to the front door.

Butterflies were in my stomach. I didn't know what to say to Jughead if he opened the door. (What if Mr Jones opened the door? Truth be told, I can't look him in the eye knowing about him and Lzzy. Ahem.)

    I reached out hand and knocked on the door. A few moments later Jughead swung the door open. I was tongue-tied when I saw him and managed to mumble something along the lines of, "Hey Jug."

     He had a worried look plastered on his face when he saw me. "Ken, you can't be here right now," said Jug as he shut the door behind him and pushed me down the tiny staircase.

     At least he didn't shut the door in my face, that's a start. I felt a sense of relieve. "Nice to meet you too, Jug," I said sarcastically.

     "Is this about the initiation?" I turned to face him. His eyebrows rose in surprise, his mouth dropping slightly not knowing what to say. "I know, Jug. That's why I'm here," I reassured him.

     "Okay. . . " he said hesitantly. "Well you still can't be here—"

   "Kenna?" Archie bleated.

"Archie?" Jughead and I said in unison.

     "Ken," Archie stepped closer to us, "what are you doing here—"

     "Both of you need to leave, okay?" Jughead cut him off. "Now is not a good time—"

     "What the hell do we have here?" someone interrupted.

     I recognised that voice. It was Sweet Pea, and he was followed by a bunch of Southside Serpents. He looked just as surprised as I was when we saw each other.

Are you for real? I just came to talk to Jughead, but seems like I cannot do anything these days without getting involved in my brother's drama.

     "They were just leaving," Jughead pushed us aside and stepped up to the Southside Serpents.

     "Wait," said Archie. "You're friends with these thugs?" Archie stepped forward but I stopped him.

Thugs? Archie, the most violent thing they have done was kick your ass.

     "It's not what you think," replied Jughead.

     "Are you joining the Serpents?" Archie continued to ask.

     "If he survives," says Sweet Pea, "and go ahead and call us thugs one more time." Sweet Pea stepped forward but Jughead stopped him.

     "Jughead, these are the guys who attacked me!" Archie exclaimed. "Who attacked Kenna, and Dilton and Veronica. Your friends."

     Was Jughead ever friends with Dilton? I don't even think that they attacked Veronica. That is a huge exaggeration. Archie you suck at getting your point across.

I found myself occasionally glancing at the Southside Serpents as we watched Jughead and Archie 'argue' in this awkward situation. Whenever I met Sweet Pea's eyes we would look away. It was like batteries meeting each other at the same poles, repelling each other.

     "Wait," said Jughead, "is that why you're here?"

     He paused. "To warn me?"

     "No," replied Archie, "I came here to tell you to stay away from Betty. She doesn't want to see you anymore."

     Wait what.

     Jughead did not respond immediately. "Screw you!" he snapped. "I just saw Betty yesterday. She was fine."

     "No, dude", said Archie. "She's been wanting to break up with you for weeks. She's been agonising over it."

    "Since you crossed the dark side, she couldn't bring herself to do it," Archie continued to say.

     "So, she sent you? Betty would never do that!" exclaimed Jughead.

     "If you don't believe me, then call her. And feel free to tell her you're a Serpent now, too. I bet she'll love that."

    Arch, you are saying it like it is a bad thing. Do not have to get all dramatic, "Crossed the dark side." Yeah, Darth Vader is there, I wish I was too. Are you done? Can we go?

    "She saw where you were headed, Jughead," Archie continued.

    "We all did and she knows you can't be with them and with her. Come on, man. You know it, too."

     Jughead didn't reply immediately. "Tell Betty I got the message."

     "Yeah. Come on, kenna," Archie pushed past Jughead, and the Serpents, and I trailed behind him.

This was the most awkward and anticlimactic thing to ever happen. I didn't even get to talk to Jughead. Guess this is my life now. Ever since I fought for Archie, I've been caught in drama.

 Ever since I fought for Archie, I've been caught in drama