― e i g h t. Guilty as Charged

CHAPTER EIGHT

Next thing I know, I was un-cuffed and tossed into a cell with a few other Serpents from the van (including Sweet Pea, Toni and the blue-haired girl)

Next thing I know, I was un-cuffed and tossed into a cell with a few other Serpents from the van (including Sweet Pea, Toni and the blue-haired girl). Sweet Pea angrily banged on the cell bars which echoed throughout the already tiny cell, which rang annoyingly in my ears.

I put my hands up to my ears as a reflex. It felt like all of my senses were heightened. My hearing. My emotions. Everything was irritating, even the sound of people breathing. And I wish that Sweet Pea would just shut the hell up-

"Stop it, Sweets," said Toni, calmly. Wow, she read my mind. "Complaining isn't going to get us anywhere."

Sweet Pea gave one final blow to the cell bars like it owed him a living before taking a seat on the empty bench next to me. The few other Serpents in the cell were sitting far apart, none of them were sitting next to each other and a few were standing up. It seemed like all of them were in their own world. Toni was huddled up with the blue-haired girl, who seemed scared and timid. Toni had her arm wrapped around her.

It had just occured to me that the blue-haired girl might be Livewire, Ghost's younger sister who was dating Toni. No wonder she was so concerned about Ghost earlier on the van.

The van.

Last thing I remembered was throbbing pain in the back of my head. And the back of my head was still throbbing at this very moment. I reached my hand out to touch the back of my head.

"Hey," I called out to Toni, who perked her head up from a resting position, "did I pass out on the van earlier?"

"Uh. . . Not exactly," said Toni.

"What the fuck does that mean," I asked, hand still placed on the back of my head.

"You looked like you were on the verge of passing out but you never really did pass out," said Sweet Pea. I turned my head to face him, he was also in a resting posture. Back against the wall, slouching over with his hands on his knees. "You just seemed- drunk," he added.

I must be actually drunk to not remember any of that or I might actually have a concussion. Either way, all I want to do right now is sit tight and not worry about any other thing because this throbbing pain is enough to worry about.

I shut my eyes and winced in pain once in a while. This headache/migraine or whatever it is is irritating. I just want to close my eyes and fall into a deep slumber but, a) I'm in a prison cell, b) Holy shit I'm in a prison cell, c) It is uncomfortable as hell.

"Hey," I called out to Toni again, "How long does this last?" This as in being put in a cell.

"Depends," she replied. "Couple of hours. Depends on how long it takes for the other Serpents to bust us out. But considering that the cops are aiming for Serpents," she sucked in her breath like 'sssk', "It's gonna take us a while."