Chapter 13

CHAPTER 13

            “Okay Casey, you are almost ready to go home, but take it easy for the next few days, you are still recovering, maybe keep Kaylie by your bedside for the next few days. I don’t want you to push yourself.” The nurse told me and I stood slowly and Nick was putting Kaylie in her car seat in the room.

            Mrs. Jones went home a few hours ago and I told her I would see her when school was back, maybe before. I was ready, I was ready to go home with Kaylie and begin my new life.

            “Are you ready?” Nick whispered to me since Kaylie had fallen to sleep.

            I nodded in a slight response. The nurse gave me a hug and told me she would see us in a few weeks for Kaylie’s checkup. Theresa and Mark headed off to work and Emily was yet again at Sarah’s house, I thought about how I still had to see her to talk about when we returned to school. I was excited to be going back home, but it seemed weird knowing that everything was going to change. None of that mattered anymore, it wasn’t about me anymore it was all about Kaylie, my little Kaylie Rose Bowman. I love her name, it chimes.

            “Case, you okay?” Nick looked at me in the passenger seat.

            “Yeah, I’m just really tired.”

            “I can imagine. Well, when you get home take a nap with Kaylie, the nurse told me that the first month is mostly sleep for babies, so try and get as much as you can. You have nothing else but her to worry about except when it is time in July to take your finals.” I nodded.

            “Nick, you have been so amazing these last few days, I really hope I don’t ever lose you, I have no idea how I would do this without you.”

            “Casey, if it weren’t for you we wouldn’t have this beautiful life in the back seat. I love you.”

            “I love you too.” I slurred off a little bit.

            “Are you sure you are okay?”

            “Yeah…I’m just thinking about stuff.”

            “Like?”

            “Like the fact I am 16 and I am a mother.” I sounded disappointed, however I wasn’t it just seems like I know my whole life is ahead of me, at least I have 2 wonderful people who I know will be in it the whole way.

            “I know sweetheart, but that just makes us stronger than most.”

            “I know…I’m just scared.”

            “Scared? Of what?”

            “Everything, what if I really am my mother, what if I am a horrible mother?”

            “You could never be Meredith, or a horrible mom, you learned from her mistakes, you are going to be wonderful Case.” He smiled at me.

            I gave a weak smile back, I was still really tired, and healing. I mean it was only 2 and a half days ago I gave birth, at least I didn’t have school to worry about.

            We finally arrived home and I took Kaylie out of her new car seat and carried her up the stairs slowly since she was sleeping. I told Nick to bring in the bassinet to put next to my side of the bed just for these next few nights or so. Within five minutes I was under the covers and laying down. Nick laid down next to me and we all fell asleep. It seemed like 20 minutes had gone by but it was really 2 hours and Kaylie slightly started whimpering. I straightened up and let Nick stay asleep. She wasn’t wet so she must be hungry. I let my shirt down and just sat there slowly drifting back to sleep, but I was trying my best to stay awake. As soon as she was done she fell right back to sleep, the nurse was right, they do sleep a lot for the first week or so. I liked it because whenever she slept, I did too.