4. the blonde boy

"We decided it might be best if you ride to train to Hogwarts tomorrow so you can get to know some of the kids your age, beforehand." Grandpa says. "You mean I have to go alone?" I ask. He sighs. "Is that okay with you?" He asks. I nod my head. "I guess, I'm just a little nervous that's all." I say. "Don't be, I'll have one of the returning students meet you, and she can guide you the rest of the way. She's very kind, I think you'll like her." Minerva says. 

Aunt Minerva had explained to me that because of the war, a handful of the 7th years couldn't finish their schooling. This meant that kids who were meant to graduate the previous year would be returning to complete their schooling. It also meant that 6th years who had decided to stay during the war, would now be 7th years. Due to the lack of returning students because of fear, the numbers wouldn't be as large this year, even with 2 different age groups in one grade. It was nice to know I wouldn't be the youngest however, considering I was about to be a 7th year as a 16-year old with a bunch of 18-year-olds and possibly even 19-year-olds.  It was also confusing because I was now a 7th year rather than a senior. Adjusting to British culture was certainly going to be difficult. 

The decision to make me a 7th year made me feel a little uneasy since I had never done anything with magic before. Grandpa reasoned that I was a quick learner, and I had my aunt there to help me. McGonagall had explained to me that because I was so new to this, she was going to arrange a tutor for me. I guess this tutor would be my assigned partner for all classes, and have to work with me after school every day. The weirdest part of this all was that this was a boarding school. I was mostly nervous because after I boarded that train tomorrow, Grandpa would be heading back to California and I would be hundreds of miles away from him and John and Alice. He promised he would come visit though during Christmas break. Minerva had agreed to let the two of us stay in her house in Wiltshire while she stayed at Hogwarts for the kids who also stayed. Later that night, I made sure to pack up all my things and go to bed at a reasonable time so that I would be ready for tomorrow. 

* * * * *

"Are you sure you can't come to Hogwarts with me?" I ask my Grandpa as he pulls me into a tight hug as we stand directly next to the Scarlet Steam Train on platform 9 and 3/4. He laughs. "I would if I could." He says. "You should just become a teacher there." I smile. "I'm not sure I'm cut out to teach a bunch of kids." He says. "I don't think so at all." I grin. The truth was, I was really going to miss him. I was about to leave behind the last thing that made me feel grounded, and that was him. I wasn't sure what to even expect the second I boarded that train. 

"Emma Ashwood?" I hear someone ask from behind me. I turn around and come face to face with a girl smiling widely at me. She has caramel colored hair, and beautiful brown eyes. "That's me." I say. "I'm Hermione Granger. Professor Mcgonagall told me I would find you here." She says, offering me her hand to shake. I kindly accept. Grandpa steps forward. "Thank you for agreeing to help her out. It means a lot to the both of us." He says. I nod my head in agreement. "Yeah thank you." I say. "It's no problem at all. I'm happy to help." She says. I turn to Grandpa. "Looks like it's finally time for you to get rid of me." I say, smiling sadly. He chuckles and pulls me into yet another hug. "Take it easy, and don't forget to write. I love you Emmeline." He says. "I love you too." I say softly before I turn and wave goodbye to him. 

"Ready to go?" Hermione asks. I nod my head. We begin walking towards the train. "So what do you think of Great Britian so far?" She asks. "I love it. Honestly it's amazing, and beautiful. The food isn't bad either. And those big red buses with two levels are pretty cool." I say. She laughs. "Glad to hear it. Do you miss America?" She asks. "Yes. Quite a lot actually. Mostly I miss the beach. And surfing. And my friends." I say. She frowns slightly. "I'm sorry." She says sincerely. "It's ok." I respond. "What's surfing like?" She asks. "It's amazing-" I begin as we step onto the large red train. I follow her into a compartment as I tell her all about California and what a typical day in my life would look like.