30. astoria greengrass

The plan was so simple, but so complex at the same time. Malfoy and I would leave for New York tonight. Our flight was at 8 PM, and because of the time change, we would arrive in New York at 10 at night. Being headmistress of Hogwarts, Minerva claimed she had some connections. Somehow she found us flights, claiming it would be the easiest way to travel, and then said one of her old friends owned a hotel right in New York. 

I wondered how she had these connections, but I trusted her, and trusted her directions. Once in New York, we had till Saturday to find my Dad. She said she could only really help up until we got there, after that it was up to us to find him. This would be the hard part. 

"How are we supposed to find him?" I ask. 

"I'm sending some help to New York as well," she says. 

"Help?" I ask. 

She nods slow, a devious smirk forming on her face. "Two of London's most prized Aurors, Ron Weasly, and Harry Potter, Mr. Malfoy's personal favorites," she says. I had a feeling she enjoyed making Malfoy miserable, but I wasn't one to complain. I glance over and have to fight the snort that threatens to escape. I cover my mouth with my hand as I look at his face grow red in anger. 

"I've always wanted to meet Harry Potter," I say smugly, just to bug Malfoy even more. "Well this will be the perfect opportunity. And I'm sure you'll be on your best behavior Draco, yes?" She asks. 

"Certainly," he says through clenched teeth. 

"Whether you like him or not, he has a talent of solving things, and I'm sure even you know that Mr. Malfoy," she says. He doesn't say anything in return, simply sitting in silence radiating an intense anger. 

She then looks to me. "If ever you are feeling uncertain, remember you are never alone. You'll have several people in New York to help you, don't you worry," she tells me. I nod and smile. "Thank you," I say, "For everything." 

* * * * *

"What do you mean your leaving?" Arden frowns. "Just for a few days, and then I'll be back. I have a family emergency," I tell the girls. And it was true. This was the biggest family emergency I had ever faced. 

We were currently all in the dorm room, the four of us had a free period right before lunch, and I had to rush back to pack for my trip for the next few days. I was to catch the train at lunchtime so I franctically shove my things into a suitcase while the girls sit around, talking to me. 

"And Malfoy's going with you?" Capri asks suspiciously. I shrug. "Well, yeah. McGonagall's orders of course. You know the whole 'he's here to help me or it's straight to Azkaban,'" I say. "I guess that makes sense," Arden says. 

"He's not that bad," Daphne suddenly says. 

We all turn to her laying on the bed, staring up at the ceiling. Daphne never had much to say in conversations like these, so the three of us were quite surprised when she brought up Malfoy's name of all people. 

"Huh?" 

She sits up, facing the three of us. "My sister was head over heels for him. I'm not sure he ever felt the same but I know he cared about her a lot. She saw a different side of him. They were supposed to get married. A betrothal since birth, nearly everyone knew that. But then the war happened, and she-" she doesn't finish the sentence. She doesn't have to. I already know what she was going to say, and I feel a deep pang in my heart. This whole time, and I never knew Daphne had a sister.