22. cold hands and tears

"M-Mom?" My voice breaks and nothing holds back the tears that immediately form in my eyes. She nods as a deep smile stretches across her face. Her features glow with joy. In an instance, I do what I have wanted to do my whole life. I close the space between us and practically fall into her arms. 

She embraces me in a hold so welcoming and full of love it sends every emotion of mine skyrocketing. She strokes my hair as she pulls me into her, holding me tight as if she'll never let go. We stay like this for what could only be hours. I'm too overwhelmed to mutter a single word, but we both know. Neither of us has to say a word to know how much we love each other, to know how much we have missed each other. I can't even recall a single memory of her, but I know. I know it in my heart, I really truly know it. 

We finally break apart. Slowly we pull away from each other and I look at her, while she looks at me, the both of us with tears in our eyes. "My darling Emma, I love you so much," she says. "I love you too Mom. I've missed you so much," I tell her. 

"I know dear, I know. I'm so sorry for leaving you," she says, sadness replacing the joy in her voice. "You don't need to apologize ever for that. You did it to save me," I tell her as I take her hand in mine. 

She sighs. "It was the best decision I've ever made. Now look at you, all grown up and absolutely stunning," she beams as she cups my cheek. I grin widely, wishing this moment could last forever. That's when a sudden thought invades this perfect moment. How is this happening?

"Mom?" I begin. 

"Hmm?" She hums softly. 

"How can I see you right now? This must be a dream, right?" I ask. She nods slowly. "Yes, this is a dream, but this isn't just your subconscious making this up," she sighs deeply, "I came to warn you," she says, a dark look falling across her beautiful face. 

"Warn me?" 

"You're in more danger than you think you are. The death eaters are growing more and more powerful. You are needed now more than ever, but you need to master your magic first. You need to learn to control your abilities beyond magic as well. You're so much more powerful than you've let yourself believe Emma," she says. 

"But I just - I don't understand how I'm supposed to play such a big role in all of this," I mutter. 

"You may not understand now, but you will. I'm always with you Emma. I will always be on your side, helping you. It took a lot of work to come to you in a dream, but it was necessary. I needed to see you to tell you something," she sighs as she pauses. 

Nothing could prepare me for what she says next, "Your father is still alive."

When I hear her say these words, it feels as if my whole world shatters. Like someone has thrown a bowling ball right into my stomach. My throat feels dry as my jaw drops, and my eyes stretch to the size of saucers. 

"H-he's alive?" I question. 

"Everyone though he was dead, but somehow he managed to escape. He's been in hiding for years," she tells me. 

"I dont - I don't know what to think right now," I say honestly as I swallow a lump in my throat. She pulls me into her arms. "I know baby, I know this probably isn't what you want to hear right now, but I needed to tell you," she says and then pulls away, holding both my shoulders with a firm grip as the most desperate and serious look appears on her face. 

"You need to find him, and you need to get to him before the Death Eaters do. He gave up magic, so he has no idea of what's about to happen," she says. 

"What is about to happen?" I ask, the fear audible in my voice. 

"The Death Eaters want another war, and this time they want to wipe anyone out who doesn't comply with them. They want to purify the world. Starting with the muggles," she says, and right as she does the world around us begins to shake. She looks around in a panic. 

"You're beginning to wake up, I don't have much time," she says. 

"No! I still have so many questions," I exclaim. She freezes, and a sad smile appears on her face. "I know dear, but you will learn everything you need to with time." 

"And how am I supposed to find dad?" I ask.

"You'll find the answers are closer than you believe," she says. 

"What does that mean?" I cry out, beginning to freak out. "I don't want you to leave," I say, choking back a sob as she pulls me into one last warm embrace. What if I never see her again like this? What if the closest thing I ever got to an interaction with my mom was this short instance right here?

"Remember, I'm always with you. I love you more than you'll ever know Emmeline," she says in a quiet voice as she strokes my hair. Everything feels so real, even in a dream state. She smells like lavender and vanilla, and I want to remember this feeling forever. 

"I love you too mom," I say as the tears flood from my eyes. 

"It's time to wake up now." 

* * * * *

The darkness has returned, and she is gone. Everything is gone, and the world that was previously surrounding me has slipped through my fingertips as finally, reality comes crashing down on me with the weight of the world. 

In a single second, my eyes fly open and I sit up, stick straight, as my memories of everything I have just learned comes right back around and hits me harder than before. I try to keep the emotions, and tears at bay as I frantically look around me. 

Neither Astrid nor Mcgonagall are in the room any longer, but Malfoy his. His head snaps up, and he looks right at me, panic instantly taking over his features. I begin to breathe heavily as I fight for air, feeling like the walls are closing in and my own throat is constricting. Malfoy rushes to my side immediately. 

"Emma? What's happening?" He exclaims. 

"I - I saw her," I choke out. 

"Who?" 

"My mother," I say as my chest continues to heave up and down. He looks shocked before he grabs my hands and levels himself with me. "Emma I need you to take deep breaths," he says. "You're alright. You're safe here," he says, maintaining a tight grip on both of my shaking hands. 

Tears stream down my face but I nod slowly. I close my eyes and try harder than I ever have to just focus. Focus on my breath, the way Malfoy's hands feel ice cold, his scent that suddenly surrounds me, and the way he worries about me. 

I open my eyes suddenly. Even in the midst of a panic attack, I was somehow thinking about him. His normally cold, stormy gray eyes look full of worry as he studies my face. His blonde hair hangs in front of his eyes in a tousled mess. The bags under his eyes tell me he hasn't been sleeping well. 

"Are you okay?" he asks.

"I think so, yeah," I breathe out and a final tear rolls down my cheek. Time suddenly stands still as his cold hand cups my cheek, and with one swipe of his thumb he wipes away that single tear before he pulls me into him. He holds me close as he wraps his arms securely around my body. I sit there in shock for a moment as I inhale his scent, and listen to his steady heartbeat through his chest. 

I finally relax and close my eyes as I accept his warm embrace, regardless of how cold his hands were. It was hard to believe that here I was, sitting with the boy who had caused me so much trouble since I first got her. And now he was showing me a completely different side to him. One I never would've guessed existed. 

"Draco?" I whisper. 

"Yeah?" 

"Thank you." 

"You're welcome, Emma." 

* * * * *

a.n - SHORT CHAPTER IM SORRRRRYYY! but it just felt kinda like a good place to pause until next time ;) also I'm finally getting views on this book so thank you thank you THANK YOUUU! I really hope anyone who has been reading this (there's like 10 of you but better than none) is enjoying it! please stick with it I promise things will get so much better!