13. the silver dagger

Malfoy manages to block the first spell easily. "Stay behind me!" He commands me. I obey, seeing as I am quite literally in a life or death situation. I try not to let my anxious feelings control me, but it's hard when I realize it will take a miracle to get out of this.

We last barely 10 seconds before both Death Eaters immobilize Malfoy. Remington hits him with a stunning spell, and he collapses to the stone ground with a loud thud, leaving me open and vulnerable.

I stare at the two death eaters with wide eyes. "She looks so pathetic I almost want to leave her alone." Remington growls. My expression hardens as I grip my wand tightly. "What do you want from me?" I sneer. "Oh, so she can talk!" Cole's father exclaims. "Yeah, and I can do a lot more than that." I say impulsively, trying to make myself appear less helpless.

The two grown men look at each other curiously before bursting into a fit of laughter. "Like what? You look like you wouldn't even hurt a fly." Rookwood sneers. He's right of course, but I can't let them know that. "Looks can be deceiving." I say, my voice shaky and weak, trying my best to stall. 

"Then please, enlighten us." Remington smirks. I look left, and I look right. In a matter of a second, I assess every option that I have. I can't just throw a spell at them that they will easily block. I look at the dark forest, and then I look at Draco Malfoy lying on the ground, the effects of the stunning spell yet to wear off.

I force my brain to work overtime, coming up with a plan. It was true I was awful at magic. And right now, I was pretty much as good as dead, but I wouldn't go down without a fight. My eyes sweep over the two grown men in front of me, and rage bursts to life like a fire. I wouldn't let myself forget that these were the very people that had destroyed me from my home, and forced me to leave it in the first place. 

So yes, maybe magic wasn't my best friend right now. But I could undoubtedly put up an act and maybe buy myself enough time until Malfoy miraculously woke up to help me. But most importantly, I was angry as hell, holding a small fire that might be big enough to get me through this night. 

I scowl darkly, as I look at the two men, waiting for my next move before a smirk unfolds itself neatly across my face. "Fine... I hope you old men know how to play tag." I say, before I turn on my heel and do the only thing I can do. I run.

I run as fast as my legs has ever carried me, and I head straight into the dense forest, with slivers of moonlight barely illuminating the surroundings.

"Follow her! I'll watch the boy!" I hear from behind me. I had hoped that both of them would have followed me, giving Malfoy enough time to recover. At least I'll get one Death Eater away from him. I weave in and out of as many trees as possible as spell after spell flies past me. Red streaks of light brighten the dark forest as I attempt to lose my predator.

A few yards ahead of me and to the right are several large boulders. If I can quickly dive behind one, maybe it will give me enough cover to hide for a second, and catch my breath. I decide what my next action is as I will my legs to move faster. In no time I reach the cluster of large rocks that are four times bigger than I am. I jump behind the closest one as I roll to the ground and quickly move around to the other side of it.

I peer around the side of the large rock to make sure my action has the desired effect on the death eater. He stands still, looking around for me. "Where are you now little girl?" Rookwood shouts. I grip my wand and point it in his direction, preparing for when his back is fully turned to me.

Shit. I still can't do nonverbal magic. At least not in an organized manner. Maybe with his back turned it'll give me enough time to cast a spell and still catch him off guard. I take in a deep breath before shouting, "Stupefy!" I watch nervously as a blast of red protrudes from the tip of my wand and spirals straight towards him.