50. next time

I gently squeeze the door shut, holding my breath as I pray for complete silence. It was late. Or rather, very early in the morning. About 2 am to be more specific. I had talked to my father for quite a long time. Even after Serena had retired into her bedroom attached to her large office, and Lily had gone back to her apartment. 

My Dad then made sure I got back to my room, and now here I am, trying to not make a single sound as I attempt to sneak back in. But the second I turn around, facing the room, I notice there's nobody in the empty bed. A small lamp is on, and the doors to the balcony outside are wide open. 

A small breeze blows through my hair from where I stand, and my brows quickly knit together. "Hello?" I call out quietly, inching slowly towards the balcony. My heart drops to the depths of my stomach suddenly as I look around the empty room. I don't know what to expect when I step outside, however, it isn't this. 

Malfoy leans against the railing, head resting against his hand as I quickly eye the bottle of Firewhiskey in his tight grasp. 

"What - what are you doing?" I ask. 

"Oh," He exhales into the cold night air, "You're back," He mutters, his lifeless eyes meeting mine. 

"Malfoy... what are you doing?" I repeat myself. 

"Isn't it obvious Ashwood?" He begins, turning to me as he throws his arms wide, the bottle still in his hand. "I'm trying to have a good time but - you. You ruined it," He says, hatred dripping off of every last word. 

"You're drunk," I mumble, shaking my head. 

"Well spotted," he rolls his eyes, bringing the bottle to his lips as he takes a sip. 

"It's 2 in the morning," I add, feeling frustrated. 

"Well don't you just love stating the obvious," he growls. 

"What is going on?" I ask. 

He pauses. His silver facade breaks for a split second, and the only thing I see is the pain he so desperately tries to hide. But he catches his slip up, pulling that mask back on as his gaze appears as empty as ever. He turns away from me, staring off into the city below us. 

"I couldn't sleep. Then I got bored. Then I found the bar," he mumbles, raising the bottle once more. I take one large step towards him, grabbing his arm before his lips can reach it again. He freezes, shooting me a nasty look. 

"Please," I whisper, looking up at him with wide eyes. 

"And why should I listen to you?" He snaps, his voice as cold as ice. 

"Just put the bottle down and come back inside," I plead. 

"I don't want to be anywhere near you right now," He says sharply. I swear I can almost feel my heart pinch when he says this. What was wrong with him? I was sick of this little game of his. Acting like he cares for me one second, then flipping a switch all of a sudden and putting up a million walls, blocking me out. I didn't understand him. But then again, Draco Malfoy was easily the most confusing person I knew. 

"It didn't seem that way earlier tonight when you kissed me," I say before I can even think through my words. His expression only grows more dangerous. "You know why I did that," he growls out. 

"I don't actually. And go ahead and tell me you were trying to protect us. That you looked up and Rookwood was right there. And sure, maybe he was. But you - you fucking kissed me. I thought you were supposed to hate me? You don't just kiss someone you hate," I flare, feeling angry now. I can feel the tension between the two of us, the anger radiating off of him like a sun, and my own scorching rage. Nobody could make me angrier than the boy standing right in front of me.