15. secrets

I push my long damp hair out of my face before shoving my hands in the pocket on my hoodie. The halls are dead empty seeing as most people are attending the Ravenclaw vs. Hufflepuff game. I was slightly glad that none of the girls were in the dorm when I got back, otherwise I would certainly have been bombarded with hundreds of questions. 

"You're late." Malfoy mumbles as I meet him outside the entrance to Mcgonagall's office. "I had to shower." I shrug. He rolls his eyes before turning to the large gargoyle and muttering the password to Mcgonagall's office. Even though she was my aunt, I had picked up the other student's habit of calling her by her last name. 

I trudged up the stairs, following Malfoy. When we came into view of her large office she looked up at us from beneath her silver spectacles. 

"Emma, Draco, I must say I'm surprised to see the both of you." She says. 

"Sorry Aunt Minerva, I hope we weren't interrupting anything but-" 

Malfoy finishes my sentence for me, "We have some things to discuss." 

She furrows her brows together before taking off her glasses and gently placing them on her desk.

"Well, please, take a seat." She says as she nods towards two plush chairs in front of her desk. 

I pull out a chair, taking a seat before looking to Malfoy to take charge. "Rookwood found Emma last night." He says abruptly. 

A look of surprise crosses her face before she turns to me giving me a questioning look. "Well, go on." She nods. "By some stroke of luck I spotted him wandering around Hogsmeade and decided to see what he was up to. That's when I noticed he was following Emma." He begins.

"Emma you were alone? In Hogsmeade? At night?" She questions sternly. I look away before nodding. 

"I - I didn't realize I would be in danger! Nobody tells me these things," I exclaim, "Besides, I was looking for something that's why I was alone." I add weakly. 

"Looking for what?" She asks. 

"It doesn't matter." I mumble. 

"Very well." She sighs, 

"Is that all then?" She asks. I am quick to speak. 

"Not even close!! Thank goodness for Malfoy I mean he helped me, surprising I know but, we hid behind one of the shops till we thought we were safe. Then, when we were walking back, Rookwood was suddenly right there! And he was with Cole Remington's Dad! Did you know he's a death eater? I was kind of shocked, but I always knew that kid was shady, anyways-" Minerva interrupts me. 

"Emma, slow down, please." She says. I hadn't realize the practical spill of words escaping my mouth, or how fast I was talking. 

"Sorry." I mumble. 

"So what else happened?" She asks, but this time she turns to Malfoy to ask. I can't help the small scowl that works itself onto my face. 

"I tried to help Emma but they stunned me. That's when she took off running and lead Rookwood into the forest." He says. 

"You led a death eater into the forest after you?" Minerva exclaims. "What else was I supposed to do?" I defend. 

"Anyways," Malfoy continues, we explain the rest to her. How Rookwood had me cornered and tied up and Malfoy saved me and then how Rookwood was quite literally on the verge of killing Malfoy and I saved him in return. How I did that, I'm still not sure, but I wasn't necessarily complaining. 

When we finish, she brings both hands to her temples and sighs, a visible motion of stress. 

"Well, I'm glad you're both okay." She mumbles and pauses for a second. "I assume Draco explained to you the situation behind all of this?" She asks me.