24. you were right

When we got back to Astrid's house, a concerned Minerva was sitting in the front room waiting for us to get back. I explained that we needed some air for just a bit. Between practically seeing my mom, and running after Malfoy, I had completely forgotten the main reason we came to Astrid's, so she could heal me.

It surprised me as I looked down at my stomach to find it completely clear, almost as if it hadn't looked horrific a few hours before. It turns out Rookwood's dagger was laced with some kind of slow-acting snake venom. All I know is it hurt like hell, and I was glad I finally was okay.

"Thank you so much," I say as I hug Astrid. "Anytime dear. Just try not to get poisoned again," she says. I laugh. "I'll try my best," I say before we part ways with her, and take the Floo network once more to return to Hogwarts.

Within the span of a few seconds, we were back in my Aunt's office, almost like it had never happened at all. But so much had happened since I left Hogwarts. The second I step out of her fireplace I turn to her, no longer able to keep this information from her.

"I have to tell you something," I say abruptly. She raises her brow quizzically. "Ok...?"

"Can we sit?" I ask. She nods, and we take a seat in the chairs near the fireplace, Malfoy as well. I begin to explain everything to her. I explain my dream. The dream that was almost too real to even be a dream. I explain my mother's warning. I tell her about my father. About the death eaters. About the threat of war. I explain everything from the moment I first saw my mother's familiar face, to the final warning she gave me.

She's left dumbstruck. Absolutely shocked. The look on her face says it all. "That's not - that's not possible. Fletcher he - he can't be," she says quietly.

I shake my head, "I can't believe it either. In fact, I don't even know that I do. But there's another thing..." I begin.

She focuses her gaze back on me, confusion covering her face. "Right before Rookwood stabbed me last night, he asked me where my father was. At the time I thought he was insane. I've been told my whole life he died when I was just a baby. But now I'm not so sure. So if he really is still out there, where is he and how do the Death Eaters know about all this?" I ask.

Minerva sighs deeply as she rubs her temples with her fingers, almost like this is too much information to take in. I know without a doubt it's a lot to process. Hell, I had a full panic attack in front of Malfoy after waking up. I try hard not to blush thinking about the fact that he saw me like that.

"The dark side, well they rely heavily on dark magic. At this point, they might have the upper hand. We don't know the first thing about how they work," She says.

Malfoy clears his throat, "Excuse me professor, but I think you're forgetting about my past," he says darkly. Her eyes grow wide for a second, as the realization hits her. "Oh my," she pauses. "That's right," she says thoughtfully as if she just realized the advantage of having Draco Malfoy on our side.

He doesn't wait for her to respond. "I know when they want something, they work around the clock till they have it in their grasps. They blend right in and attack when you're least expecting it. Voldemort relied heavily on Legilimency to read people's thoughts. As a result, the Death Eater's caught on eventually. They're ruthless and spiteful, which I'm sure you already knew. The difference is, this time they're angry. Potter killed their leader, and they want revenge on anyone associated with him, and anyone who doesn't stand with them," he says.

My mouth parts slightly and I stare at the boy sitting in front of me, wondering what exactly he's seen, and what he's been through that gives him so much knowledge of the dark side. I knew he didn't have much choice in the things he had to do, and I've heard a majority of the stories about Draco Malfoy. I've heard countless times that he's no good. That he's a former death eater, and I shouldn't trust him. But I had a feeling there was so much more behind that. Could it be because I had seen him be gentle or empathetic with me a couple of times? Most likely. But I wish for just one day that I could slip into his shoes, and see the world as Draco Malfoy does.