The Most Beautiful

They said the year Lai Fa was born was the most beautiful full moon that ever hung the sky. Her father and mother knew she was going to be special because she barely wept, she stared at her mother's loving face with her big almond eyes and grasped her father's finger with her tiny hand.

She was the love of their lives and they loved her as soon as they laid their eyes on their newborn. Lai Fa was the most beautiful baby they have ever seen, and she completed their lives.

Her proud parents soon took to the village to show off the new baby in their arms. The villagers gathered to see Gonzu and Meiling's newborn daughter, they congratulated them and told the couple they have the most beautiful baby the entire village had ever seen.

She's a gift from the gods, the villagers murmured. You are blessed with a beautiful child and she will bring you good luck.

When the child turned five, the entire village gave her a nickname and began calling her Jasmine, because they said she was fair as a goddess and there's no other name she deserved.

The entire village started calling her Jasmine instead of her real name Lai Fa. Everywhere she went, the kids she played with called her Jasmine, even the teachers at school called her Jasmine. The name grew on her and it stayed. Before long, no one called her by her real name anymore.

By the time she was fifteen, curious glances and heads turned toward her direction that her father worried for his daughter's safety. The offer of marriages trickled in, and nauseating dowry from rich men who wanted to pick her up for a young bride came from all corners of the province. She rattled the interest of promising grooms everywhere. Though her parents refused them all, they will not let their daughter go for an older man who'll take advantage of her youth.

"You deserve more than any amount of money these foolish men offer." La Fai's mother told her. "You need to find a man who'll love you and treat you as the most precious woman in the world."

La Fai could only hope for that to come true. She wanted nothing but a handsome prince who'll love her for everything that she is.

Soon, the word of a beautiful girl living in a tucked away village reached the imperial palace. The emperor sent scouts to see if the rumor was true, and after a while, he wanted to see the girl for himself. He scheduled an unannounced visit to her village. A few days travel from his palace, just so he can lay his eyes on this beautiful girl he heard so much about.

The flock of imperial guardsmen arrived at the small village turning the visit into a spectacle. The villagers gathered around her tiny house, curious about what was happening.

The emperor's visit was a surprise, the family had not expected his arrival catching them off guard.

Lai Fa's father knew of the emperor's intention and his biggest fear came alive when he forced his daughter to hide.

"Go hide behind the wall Lai Fa!" He bellowed and sent her scrambling to her feet, rushing to do what he asked. Lai Fa hid behind the wall fearing what's happening. She didn't want her father getting in trouble with the emperor for hiding his daughter.

●●●●●

I heard heavy footsteps climbed our small hut. An eloquent voice spoke and I assumed him to be the emperor. I peeked behind the wall and saw the large chest his men carried, they lowered it to the floor, lifting the lid for my father to see. It was a chest filled with gifts. Jewels, gold nuggets, and stones. It was the most wealth I've ever seen in my life that even father was breathless at the sight of blinding fortune winking at him.

He took another look at the emperor. "What is it you want, your highness?"

"I wish to see your daughter." The emperor carried his voice with certainty and made it known a refusal would be futile.

Father's blood drained from his face, I could tell even this far away from him that father was terrified. He struggled for a while, and after a long moment of silence, the emperor grew impatient with his indecision.

"This is not a request, this is an order from your emperor." He announced.

Father whipped his gaze to my equally terrified eyes. "Come here, Lai Fa." He said finally.

I stepped out from behind the wall and walked over to them. The emperor watched me as I did so.

"Look at me, child." The emperor hummed, his voice soft and low.

I lifted my head to him with my eyes drawn to the floor, afraid to meet his gaze.

"Let me see your eyes."

I lifted my acorn colored eyes.

He took one good look at me and declared..." she's perfect, I'll be summoning her to the palace."

Father made a sudden move of protest clasping his hands on my shoulders, yanking me back to him. The guards around us closed in, hands wrapped around the hilt of their swords. All it'll take is one word from the emperor and I will be rip away from my parent by force.

The Emperor waved his hand, he remained calm. His expression etched a perpetual picture of calmness caused by age. Perhaps, he's used to commoners acting terrified of him.

"Forgive our intrusion, it's not my intention to scare you or your daughter. I came in search of a fitting bride for my second son. My Hoon is sick and he may not thrive a long life. A father only wishes happiness for his son." His gaze focused on me. "Do not be scared, my child." He smiled and it was a gentle smile. A smile, he, perhaps, doesn't show too often to anyone. "You'll be marrying my son, I'm too old of a fart for a beautiful girl like you. You might find yourself hardly disappointed. You'll be marrying a prince and my Hoon is quite a good looking young man."