The Arrival

It was a promise that I made and kept for my husband. Ever since that night, my encounter with third prince Julong became minimal. He knew to stay away from me and I learned to leave him alone. I rarely saw him. The prince kept himself busy with his imperial army and his work on the other side of the palace.

He sometimes slept overnight in his quarter at the field with his soldiers rather than coming home to his luxurious chamber, just so he can avoid running into me.

The consort's courtyard fell into serene tranquility just the same way. The concubines were calm and quiet without prince Julong's frequent visits. He stopped coming around employing the company of women and focused all his attention elsewhere.

I remember Hoon's words about prince Julong before, women were never really his interest. His mind had always been wrapped up with the military.

It was evident that prince Julong and I were distancing ourselves from each other. My dedication returned to my husband and our lives fell back to normal. Hoon and I picked up where we left off without ever visiting that conversation we had that night.

We resumed our attempt on having a child and after another couple month of fruitless effort, the imperial physician declared my husband infertile. It was a blow to both of us, but we already expected this news long before it arrived. Now, it's clear that Hoon and I could never have children and we don't have to force ourselves to keep trying.

"I'm sorry, Jas." Hoon murmured tenderly, brushing his soft lip on my shoulder. Hoon slumped leaning on my side, disheartened about the news.

I stroked his long hair that was rarely down, his silken tresses fell past his shoulders. "It's okay, that just means we have more time to spend with each other."

"But what's life if we can't have children?"

"It's a life filled with you and me," I answered. "I think we're going to be okay, we could adopt a cat or something."

He laughed and lifted his head to me. Hoon looked marvelously handsome with his smooth hair framing his face, he's even more handsome bare-chested. "I'm afraid, a cat might get me jealous. I don't like to compete for your attention, and I know a cat will steal all your affection."

I laughed with him. "Don't be silly, Hoon. How can a cat compare to you?"

As a result, the emperor focused his attention on his youngest son. His desire to have grandchildren fell its weight on prince Julong that the emperor took it upon himself to search his youngest son a proper betrothed.

He paid the neighboring kingdoms a visit, hunting for the prettiest princess he could find. It didn't take long before he found a young princess, a budding teenager, five years prince Julong's junior. She's the second princess from the eastern kingdom of Yi. Fair, elegant and beautiful.

The emperor was delighted at his choice while prince Julong reacted with shock once he found out how young his betrothed was. A girl of fourteen about to turn fifteen while the third prince was already twenty.

"Father, are you kidding me?!" Prince Julong barged into his father's throne room. "You want me to marry a child?!"

"She is old enough to carry a child. The girl had already bled, I made certain of that."

"That's not the point!" Said prince Julong with his rising voice, he scowled at his father with contempt. "Are you that desperate for grandchildren? Are you so intent on running my life just so you could satisfy yourself with grandchildren? If you want grandchildren so bad, I will give you however many you want, with different mothers if you want, but not with a girl that young!"

"No." The emperor answered. "I'm desperate for the survival of our line. I'm desperate for an heir to the throne that's long been overdue. I need to ensure the continuity of our bloodline while I'm still alive. Yuan and Hoon cannot have children, so that rest the faith in you. You are my only hope, my son."

"But, there's plenty of time, father. There's no need to rush. We can let the princess age a little more before we marry and have children."

"May I remind you, Jasmine was sixteen and Hoon was twenty-six when they married. There's far greater age gap between them. I'm getting old, my son. My time is about to expire. You need to secure an heir to the throne before I die."

"Father! You can't possibly expect me..."

The emperor lifted his hand with finality. "That's enough, Julong. I will no longer converse about this matter. You are going to marry this girl and you are going to put your seed in her. This is not only for our bloodline's sake, but it is also for the kingdom's. Princess Yu Yan is a very suitable bride for you."

Demoralized, prince Julong slumped his shoulders low and looked away, he wouldn't meet his father's gaze. Prince Julong was without a choice. He was always expected to do just as he's told and keep his mouth shut.

He turned around, there wasn't any point arguing further. He left the throne room, upset.

•••••

Within the next couple weeks, the third prince's new betrothed moved to the palace. The young princess arrived in a grand carriage escorted by her father and their own squadron of imperial guardsmen. It was a long parade of carriage after carriage that one might think the carnival was in town. The princess brought a lot of personal items with her. Mostly her clothing, shoes, and toys she couldn't part with.

The princess was housed in the elegant wing where I used to reside neighboring crown prince's wives. She will be staying there until the wedding happens, having the option of moving into her own manor once her and the third prince are married.