Princess Yu Yan

We met not long after, having been formally introduced during an evening dinner with the emperor and the entire imperial family. A lavish dinner the emperor threw in celebration of her safe arrival.

Though our interactions after dinner remained minimal. She chose to belong in the company of wangfei Ai and wangfei Ru Shi alienating me outside. I suspected she learned about my origin and decided I was not worth her time, neither her attention. A daughter of a farmer brought into the life and luxury of royals had no room or right mingling with nobles.

I did not mind it since our interaction could only result to me and prince Julong interacting more with each other and that's the last thing we wanted.

In the beginning, prince Julong tried to fulfill his duty as he was expected. He obeyed his father's wishes taking time putting an effort, learning about his new betrothed. He showed no bitterness, no retaliation of his behalf. Prince Julong accepted and considered his betrothal with the princess.

I saw that the new couple was getting on the right start. Prince Julong is attractive, handsome, the kind of prince most women preferred. He had the perfect mixture of rebellious free spirit and charm. He could be kindhearted one second and harsh the next depending on the situation.

Prince Julong took princess Yu Yan to the garden for walks, ate with her for dinner, allowed her in his combat practice each morning, breaking every concubine's heart in the palace.

Prince Julong tried to win her, he did all the right things he was supposed to, trying to gain the affection of his betrothed. But princess Yu Yan was far too young, far too naïve, far too immature for an older guy like him.

It soon became apparent that princess Yu Yan was still attached to her parents and had a hard time adjusting to her new life.

Her true manner surfaced, and after a few weeks or so, she became disgruntled and supplied prince Julong with her problematic attitude. She's a princess, born and raised in a palace. She felt and acted entitled to everything. She demanded all the finery and luxury fit for a princess and took no less from the prince. She expected the prince to bend over backward for her.

She was a replica of wangfei Ru Shi. Princess Yu Yan was an ill-bred princess that prince Julong soon lost all his interest in her. He would rather waste his time with his soldiers in the field rather than babysit an entitled royal brat.

He retreated back to his work and dropped his efforts to please his betrothed. His dedication faltered. Princess Yu Yan asked for the engagement to be annulled since prince Julong turned out to be a jerk, according to her. But both kingdoms had been adamant about the third prince and the princess plight, denying her wish.

It is for the best of both kingdoms, her parents argued.

Their relationship took a downward plunge when princess Yu Yan took out her grievance on prince Julong, they fought and argued a lot that prince Julong put more effort avoiding his own betrothed than running into me in the hallways.

I've never seen a man so stressed out about women before.

Before long, the princess took notice of my relationship with the second prince. How happy and content we were. The crown prince's wives had been all reclusive and private about their relationship with their husband, never speaking of it. But anyone can understand any woman who shares her husband with another woman is never truly content or happy.

Her concern piqued on me, the princess asked inquiries and pursued to investigate the lowly wangfei from the poor farming village. It didn't take long before the old rumors of me and the third prince, that should've been buried long ago, re-surfaced. It made her pay attention to prince Julong more, his stolen glances, his longing stares, his constant avoidance of me.

What used to be unnoticeable to her, became bitterly obvious. She saw the way her betrothed looked and admired the wife of the second prince, piecing the puzzles together. Something clicked to her, and it only fueled her fury even more.

I became one of her targets. Someone to despise and focus her rage on.

Because of this, I learned to teeter more to my side of the palace. I was sent back to those days when I shared the wing with wangfei Ru Shi, how she came to relish her constant harassment of me. My careful avoidance of prince Julong and his betrothed became too overwhelming that I hardly left the chamber anymore.

I locked myself in, coming out only when my husband accompanied me.

"What's the matter, Jas?" Hoon gave me an inquiring look. "You never come out of the chamber anymore."

I made a sensible upturn of my lip and kissed him. Hoon had just walked in the room after a long day with his duties. "You know," I shrugged. "I just don't feel like going out lately. There's nothing out there for me to do anyway."

"Not even the garden?"

"No, not even the garden."

"Are you depressed, my love?" He asked. "Was it because we're unable to have a child?"

I loosened the belt holding his robe and released him from its embrace. It became our normal routine, each time he came home, I helped him out of his clothes, then helped him back into his more comfortable garments.

"No, my love. I'm not depressed. It's nothing like that. It's just that I found our room to be the safest in the palace."

"Is Ru Shi bullying you again?!" His voice rose enraged at the thought of the first wife harassing me.

My eyes lifted to his face, seeing his silent rage. I smiled and kissed him again. I found his protective nature adorable, especially when he's reacting out for my sake. "No, she's not. I'm afraid the new princess is a bit fiery. I don't think she likes me at all."

Hoon let out a laughter. "Don't let a mere child scare you, Jas. What is she going to do? Stab you with her toys?"

I couldn't help but join his laughter, Hoon had me giggling along with him. "Oh, I'm not. I just don't want any trouble to rise. I don't think she liked the fact that I'm born to farmer parents."

Hoon sighed. "Why am I not surprised?"