treinta|30|trente

miller takes time off work and i start writing tips and extra notes for him late at night when i should be doing homework.

we spend lunchtimes and afternoons together, laughing, complaining and annoying each other. by the time the exam comes around he can tell me how irritating i am in several different ways.

"buena suerte", he whispers, nudging me under the desk. gringo, i mouth at him and roll my eyes, turning over the paper. at the same moment, my anxiety dribbles out of my ears onto the floor - much the same way miller's spanish knowledge does after the exam.

"what is the english dedos de pies?", i hiss at miller as we walk out to lunch together. embarrassing, truly. of course, the spanish exam was in no way expecting students to forget english. miller's face twitches like he's trying to hold in a laugh. pendejo.

"wait, what did you write?", he gasps instead of answering. i shake my head.

"it makes more sense in spanish!"

miller laughs harder, almost tripping over a schoolbag left in the dirty hallway. he knows, i know, we both took the same test. i feel like an idiot, but the look on miller's face- i can't hold back my own smile. his laughter is the kind of laughter that makes another person laugh; messy and free and beautiful.

"toes, de caliente", miller howls, "you meant toes"

we interrupt the bustle of the hall with our laughter, for happiness in moments in moments like these, just him and i, deserve to take up space.

+

i have unpublished much of the story. more to come :)