Chapter 16 - Persuasion

*Flashback Continues*

"Why are you so silent Nandu?", asked Prabhas' mother.

They were having dinner, and Prabhas was silently chewing the morsel of rice, his thoughts wandering to Anushka and how her parents would have reacted to the news.

Prabhas shook his head in negation and continued eating. Both mother and son went for a walk in the garden after having food.

"Now tell me whatever that you have to", said Amma turning to him.

They had sat on the bench amidst the rose bushes, his mother's favourite place in the garden. A cool breeze ruffled the branches above their head and the smell of blooming jasmine filled the air.

"How do you know that I have something to tell you?", asked Prabhas incredulously.

"Who's your mother?", smirked her in return. "Now say!"

"Amma... actually...", Prabhas took a deep breath and continued,

"I'm in love with someone, Amma"

He searched his mother's face for a reaction. She sat upright and her forehead creased. Before she could say anything, Prabhas rushed on,

"She's a really nice girl Amma! She's loving, caring, understanding... but mostly, whenever I'm with her, I feel happy", he stalled, uncertainly.

"Who is she? Is she from the industry?", asked her, without emotion.

Prabhas could see that she was not very pleased with the news. But he had to convince her, no matter what.

"Yes, but you already know her Amma! And you've always liked her!", said him.

Amma racked her brains in that second, trying to guess who the girl was, that had gotten her son so smitten in her love. But it was in vain, as she was not very familiar with the new generation of the industry.

Prabhas could see the confusion on his mother's face and he said,

"It's Anushka, Amma"

Her eyes widened in surprise.

"Anushka as in, Sweety, Anushka?", asked her.

"Yeah! You always liked her didn't you? You always said that she was a very good, kindhearted, and one of the sweetest person you knew?", insisted him.

Amma was silent. He couldn't render what was going on inside her head. He tried once more,

"I love her, Amma. She brings out the best version of me. She makes me complete."

Prabhas was chewing on his nails in anxiety as his mother kept on contemplating.

She had kept quiet all along. She slowly stood up from the bench and started walking towards the home.

"Amma! Say something!", called Prabhas, holding her hands, standing up as well. He was astonished at her reaction. She turned to him and said,

"You have told me one of the most important news about your life. You can't expect me to come up with a decision right now. Give me some time to let it all sink. It's me who have to be both father and mother for you.", And with that, she walked off into the house.

Prabhas stood there, fixed. He had been wrong in assuming that it would be easy convincing his mother. It wasn't a cake-walk after all.

* * * * *

Anushka had pleaded with her brothers to present the topic to her parents on her behalf. But they had denied, telling that she should be the one to tell them as it was the most important decision of her life.