Chapter 22 - A Goodbye : Holiday Shot-V

Having a conversation with Sanjay was quite calming for Anushka. The more they talked, they found the similarities in their likes and preferences.

Both loved reading poetry, travelling, and had tastes in art. They both gave much importance to spirituality in their lives. The fact that it was Sanjay's own idea behind the designing of the resort - from the structural plan to the arrangement of every décor made Anushka respect him more.

As for Sanjay, it was only a matter of moments for him to fall in love with her. He had always admired her and even had a crush on the "heroine" Anushka Shetty. But, as he spent time with her in person, he realised how easy it was to love her. Her easy charm, her effortless manners and that alluring smile and those fierce yet innocent eyes were more than enough to bewitch anyone.

" No one has ever understood the unfathomed depths of love as Rumi did", said Sanjay to Anushka.

Anushka closed the book and rose from her seat. She went to the railing and looked at the sea. A sickle of the moon was visible in the sky and there were hardly any stars.

Sanjay went and stood near her. She had a smile hovering around her lips.

"But I have", she said.

"I have known the depths of love", she continued, her voice barely audible.

Sanjay looked on and waited for her to continue. But she didn't. He understood what she meant. He could hear his own heart breaking into tiny shards.

"How long have you known Prabhas?"

"Nearly a decade", she said, still looking at the sea.

Sanjay kept silent and stole glances at her. Anushka's hair was ruffling in the breeze. It caressed her delicate neck, revealing a yellowing hickey.

Realisation dawned upon him.

"What am I doing?! Anushka is with Prabhas for God's sake! She is in a serious relationship with him and needless to say, head-over- heels in love. She's happy. And I've seen the love, care, and possessiveness Prabhas has for her in his eyes. Why am I, an outsider, interfering with them?!"

He was now disgusted at himself.

"I love her. And it's nothing like how I felt for other girls. It's like, I can forego anything for her. But in this relationship, it will always be just me and no her. And I will do anything to keep that smile on her face. Today evening, I saw it waver. And it was because of me. I won't let it happen again. Never again."

Sanjay cleared his throat, careful not to let his voice break.

"Um... Anushka?"

Sweety turned to him.

"I'm going to France tomorrow"

"All of a sudden?", she asked confused.

"Yes, an urgent meeting to attend. I'll leave tomorrow noon", he said averting his eyes, hoping that he would manage to get a ticket for the journey he planned just a few seconds ago.

"Oh! Ok! So won't we meet again?", she asked.

Sanjay shrugged and forced a smile.

"I just wanted to say that...", he looked at her face and his heart felt heavier.

"Yes?"

"Um...I'm lucky to have met you Anushka. I'll cherish these few moments spent with you for a lifetime", he said in a small voice.

"You have been such a gracious host and a wonderful company for us, Sanjay. Thank you for everything", Anushka said with a warm smile.

Sanjay just nodded, gulping down his feelings.