Chapter 4- Part of the Family

The journey back wasn't long, but it had gotten dark, the Ape Village was once again strung up with dim lit lanterns.

When he arrived, all the apes had settled and were eating dinner. Sets of fruits, vegetables, berries were placed out on a smooth yet wonky table. Caesar dismounted his horse and sat beside his family.

"Father!", Cornelius signed excitedly, and ran over to embrace him in a hug. They both walked to their spots, they watched as Caesar cradled the girl who was still hungry so he took a piece of melon to give her.

As his hand tried to get close to her mouth, she turned her head, obviously she did not want the fruit. Blue Eyes, who sat next to Caesar handed him a crafted bowl full of milk.

"Try this.", he suggested, "She doesn't have any teeth."

Caesar received the bowl and tilted her head back slightly, he placed the bowl over her mouth and she responded by gripping her hands on the bowl, eager to drink it.

Most of the apes watched in amazement as she gulped the milk down to the last drop. When she finished, she turned her head and yawned and on less than a minute, she fluttered her eyes shut and was snoring quietly. She entwined her fingers in his fur, and used it as a cushion. Cornelia, who was done with her dinner, reached her arms out to the child.

"Shall I take her upstairs?", she signed.

He responded as he handed the sleeping bundle over to her and she went upstairs with the child as well as Cornelius. Blue Eyes and Caesar remained at the table.

"Have you decided what to do with her?", questioned Blue Eyes.

Before Caesar could reply, loud roars of hooves and gallops emerged from within the woods. All the apes turned and faced the incoming approach.

Who entered the village were three navy black horeses ridden Koba and his henchmen, rage written all over the scarred bonobo. He dismounted his and approached Caesar angrily.

"Human, here?!", he bellowed. His gaze met Caesar's, his eyes burning with hate. Caesar maintained his self control and simply answered.

"Blue Eyes and Ash found her, so she's staying here for now.", he explained. Koba however wasn't having that.

"Human! Must! Go!", he argued.

All the apes paid attention to the scene of conflict that was brewing with tension, some felt uneasy, others sided with Koba. Blue Eyes, stepped up and didn't hesitate to give his opinion.

"She's stays.", he signed.

Koba glared at Blue Eyes and turned to approach him but was halted when Caesar stood up from his spot and overshadowed him, he loomed over him like a tower, an aggravated scowl on his face. Koba faced the floor, slightly ashamed for his outburst and knelt down on his knee, he held his arm up to Caesar and opened his palm.

"Forgive me."

Caesar looked down at his so called mercy and reluctantly brushed his hand across Koba's, who scurried off in a split. All the apes witnessed Koba's cowardice flee and turned to Caesar who returned a warning glare, this was an example of the consequence of anyone who questioned his judgement.

Both he and Blue Eyes then exit the dining centre and made their way upstairs into their hut. Inside, sat Cornelia on the moss bed with Cornelius on her shoulder both admiring the sleeping baby girl in her arms. Cornelius reached his hand down to poke her ears but were swatted away by Cornelia.

"Mother, why are her ears so small?", he wondered. He tried poking them again.

"Stop teasing her.", she signed jokingly. Blue Eyes let out a chuckle and sat by his mother and brother, who also admired the child. Caesar stood by the doorway, a smile spread across his face at the sight of his beloved family. They all looked at him, Cornelia motioned for him to come over which he did and sat beside her, his arm around her and Blue Eyes, Cornelius crawled over to his lap for a better view of the child.

"Father?", Blue Eyes began, "Can she stay?"

Caesar looked at the child, she shifted slightly in Corelia's embrace. He had to admit, she was growing on him as for his family, she already had them wrapped tightly around her chubby little finger. He looked back up at his family, their faces lit up with hope.

"She will stay.", he said, he too was also smiling. His family now complete.