Chapter 30- Said No Guns

Ellie brought out her first aid kit. Luckily, not all of them were injured but Carver had sustained many injuries and Clova had a minor head injury. She winced as Ellie dressed and cleaned her wound then placed a plaster on her cut.

"My head...hurts.", she sniffled. Ellie patted her shoulder.

"It's okay, it's just a cut.", she soothed. "You might experience a slight migraine for a while." Clova nodded. Carver let out a cry of pain.

"Watch it!", he snapped at Alexander. 

"S-sorry.", he stuttered. Ellie moved her attention to Carver and cleaned his gashes. Malcolm stood by them and looked at Rocket riding back to Caesar, he walked to over to them.

"Thank you, you've saved our lives.", he thanked. Blue Eyes had a gross look on his face as he adjusted the fussy Cornelius on his upper back. The small ape climbed onto his brother's arm and grinned widely.

"Clova!", he signed excitedly.

"How long. Will it take?", Caesar asked.

As Malcolm was about to answer, Cornelius crawled down from Blue Eyes grip and scuttled towards the group of humans. Blue Eyes chased after his naive, younger brother both he and Caesar watched as Cornelius boldly headed towards them. Ellie was focused on Carver's injuries when she felt a slight tug on her coat and turned only to be face to face with an adorable and curious ape child.

She smiled as he poked her nose and turned to Alexander who laughed in amusement. Ellie hesitatingly raised her finger to the small chimp who reached out and grabbed it, she giggled in response. This was one of the best moments she's ever had. Clova watched with a warm smile on her face, Carver however grimaced in frustration, his leg wasn't getting any better.

"Hey!", he snapped, taking everyone's attention from Cornelius. "Are we finished?" Ellie went back to treating his leg, both her and Alexander shared a brief laugh. Clova's smile disappeared, this Carver guy is a cold blooded buzzkill. 

From the corner of Carver's eye, he spotted the young ape climbed down ]Alexander's leg and toyed around with his shoe, the boy let out a small chuckle. He grew tense as it unknowingly crawled into a small box and revealed a fully loaded shotgun securely hidden by a cloth. 

The now angered man, sprung up to attack the defenceless infant but was forcefully pushed down by Blue Eyes, Cornelius hid behind his protective brother confused with the commotion. Whilst the aggravated teen screeched angrily at the humans, Clova watched in horror as Carver took the opportunity to grab his shotgun, he stood up and aimed at Blue Eyes' head.

"Hey!", he called. Blue Eyes put an arm over his brother and snarled ferociously. Clova stood up in anger.

"Stop!", she screamed. Carver pointed the gun to her. "I'll kill all of you!", he threatened. He suddenly felt a large hand on his shoulder he looked up and saw a very, very livid ape. Caesar ripped the weapon from his arms and knocked him to the ground, Clova used the chance to run over and pick up Cornelius who clung to her shirt in fear. Caesar raised his arm and gripped the loaded gun, ready to smash it into Carver's face, he was halted by a protested yell.

"No, Caesar dont!", He turned his head to the call and saw Malcolm, his hands held out pleadingly. The man saw the inflicted rage that scorched through the ape's eyes and looked at the gun. They all watched uneasily as Caesar identified the weapon, they waited moments until his gaze met theirs and huffed angrily.

"Said.", he started. "No. Guns.", he aimed the gun at Malcolm who froze in fear.

 Clova looked at Caesar, she had never ever seen him so furious, her breath hitched as he directed the gun to Ellie and Alexander who stumbled back. He inhaled sharply and clocked the gun ready to fire but Clova sighed in relief as her father lowered his aim and eyed the gun in disgust, they all stared as Caesar walked towards the lake and tossed it into the deep waters.

Slowly, he turned to Malcolm, distrust and betrayal traced over his face. Malcolm shook his head in denial.

"I-I didn't know.", Caesar wasn't listening to his stories and marched up to him face to face. 

"Human! Leave! Now!", he demanded. Clova and the other apes followed Caesar out, Blue Eyes gave them a nasty look as they retreated. 

Inside, she was disappointed, she hoped they could all get along and refused to make eye contact with them as she walked passed, as they did, Cornelius nuzzled closer to Clova he was obviously uncomfortable. She mounted Blue Eyes horse and rode back home.

When they arrived back home, an oba leaped down from Caesar's hut and signed frantically and pointed up to their room. Immediately getting the message, the family raced up the spiral stairs and into the room. 

There layed Cornelia, her skin pale and eyes lifeless and droopy, she shakily turned her head to them and they all made their way over to her. Caesar sat beside her, his face distraught at the sight of his wife. Clova sat by her head and gently stroked her fur, Blue Eyes sat opposite and held Cornelius in his arms his face saddened.

Caesar looked at one of the obas in question for Cornelia's health, they responded with a slow shake of the head. Clova tapped his shoulder.

"Father, is mother going to be okay?", she signed hopefully. He turned to look at her and she frowned, his facial expression said enough and she looked down as she felt tears forming in her eyes.

The family sat together in silence comforting one another when the rise of sudden hoots and bickering grew louder and alert among incoming apes. Caesar could hear voices.

"Please, I just want to speak to him.", he said. He ignored the voices and focused his attention on his wife and traced his thumb over her head, the footsteps got closer then stopped. 

"Caesar, I'm sorry.", no response. "We'll make him leave.", he promised but the Ape King couldn't care less.

"This. My home.", he reminded harshly. "You should not be here.", he growled. Clova and Blue Eyes sat there and watched in silence, they could both tell their father was getting angry. Clova used her hand to wipe the tears from her face.

"I understand.", Malcolm negotiated. He paused when Ellie took a step forward, her eyes fixed on the suffering chimp and looked back to Malcolm, he knew what she was thinking.

"She's sick.", he stated. Caesar turned to look at him and Blue Eyes eyes narrowed giving them a sharp glare.

"H-how long has she been this way?", Ellie asked very concerned. She looked at Clova who sniffled quietly and hung her head low in sadness. Caesar shook his head.

"Do not trust you."

"But,", Malcolm stated reasonably, "Maybe she can help. She has medicine and anti-biotics.", he explained. They let him think for a moment, he looked back at Cornelia, her breath growing raspier by the minute. Clova chipped in.

"Father, please.", she begged, her cheek drenched with tears.

Without a sound, Caesar moved away to make space for Ellie and gestured for her to come forward. She approached slowly and unpacked her bag, as she was occupied, her gaze met Clova's and said in a reassuring voice. "Don't worry, your mother will be fine.". Clova smiled faintly at her words.

"One day.", Caesar said. Malcolm and Ellie were unsure of what he meant. "You stay...one day.", he said clearer. 

Blue Eyes shook his head in protest. "Father, no!"

"We might need a bit more time-", Malcolm started and Caesar became frustrated.

"One day!", he barked, making his point crystal clear. "Ape will help.", he added.

The blue eyed teen grimaced at the thought and signed stubbornly. "I will not help!"