Chapter 29- Digging Accident

The humans did their work at the dam under Caesar's watch. Clova had felt a bit more open and wanted to interact with them from a closer distance.

"Father, can I go closer?", Caesar looked at the humans and grimaced, he didn't trust them let alone with his family's safety. He looked back at Clova who gave him the manipulating, puppy eye look.

"Fine, but stay close."

With a broad smile, Clova hopped off and walked to the busy humans. She approached a young woman with brown hair held down in a braid and a tall boy next to her, his attention focused in his book. Clova froze when the woman looked at her but eased when she gave her a heart warming smile and motioned for her to come closer. Cautiously, Clova made her way over and sat on the same log they sat on.

The woman held out her hand. "Hi there, I'm Ellie.", she said gently. Clova was already warming to her and took her hand in hers.

"Clova.", she smiled. Ellie smiled back.

"That's a beautiful name.", Clova blushed slightly. Ellie then motioned the quiet boy next to her. "This is my son-", she paused when he gave her a look.

"Uh, step-son,", she corrected. "Alexander."

Clova turned to Alexander and reached for his hand. "H-hi, Alexander.", she stammered. Clova's english wasn't always accurate. He smiled and shook her hand.

"Nice to meet you.", he said meekly. Minutes passed as the three got to know one another better, they asked and answered each other's questions.

"So are you close to these apes? Do you know them well?", Ellie asked. Clova nodded and pointed the ape leader on his horse.

"That's my father.", Ellie was slightly taken aback.

"Your father?", she repeated. Clova nodded proudly and pointed to the blue eyed teen.

"That's my brother, Blue Eyes and my younger brother, Cornelius.", she told her as she gestured to her family. Blue Eyes had a careless look on his face being in the presence of humans as Cornelius was supported on his brother's shoulders.

"I live with them, they're my family.", Ellie was still shocked.

"So...you've never had proper human contact?", she questioned. Clova looked at her.

"I've never had any human contact."

Their discussion came to an end when Malcolm and a larger man walked towards them. Clova was somewhat intimidated by the large man's appearance. He bent down to her level and smiled.

"Foster.", he introduced. She noticed his accent was thick and had more attitude, not in a bad way though.

"Clova.", she smiled back at him.

He reminded her of Luca, a big, strong intimidating ape but had a deep soft spot and a heart made of butter and was just as caring and sweet as any other ape she knew, she strongly considered him as family and what he'd do to ensure her and everyone's well care as a Gorilla Guardian.

"We've almost cleared the area. Caesar gave us permission to start the digging.", he informed. Alexander suddenly spoke.

"Can I come?", he asked. Malcolm shook his head.

"It's too dangerous, you'll wait at the entrance with Ellie.", Clova sat up and gently tapped him.

"May I come too?", she asked politely. Malcolm glanced at Caesar and back to Clova. He didn't want to do anything that may ruin their chances of fixing the dam.

"Um, you should ask your father.", he advised, he was on edge by Blue Eyes' dirty grimace he kept receiving. Clova sprinted to her family and signed quickly.

"Can I go to the dam with Malcolm and Ellie and watch them dig?", the teen gave a stern look to his father, silently advising for Clova not to go. The last thing he wanted was his only sister getting hurt by them. Caesar noticed Blue Eyes' expression and would be lying if he said he didn't agree to let his only daughter go unsupervised. Maurice decided to ease their thoughts.

"They seem nice, well some of them.", he gestured to the trigger happy Carver. "And Clova seems safe with them.", She nodded in agreement.

After a long moment of silence, "Don't wander too far.", he instructed sternly. With her father's permission, Clova ran and caught up to the others, Blue Eyes watched cautiously as his sister disappeared further away with the humans and turned to Caesar, slightly annoyed.

"What if Clova gets hurt?", he signed angrily. Maurice looked to the aggravated teen.

"She'll be fine.", he reassured. Blue Eyes considered Maurice and Rocket as uncles, he treated them with high respect and valued their opinions. He huffed and positioned Cornelius on his back.

(At the dam)

As Malcolm said, Ellie, Alexander and Clova waited outside the tunnel while he, Foster and Carver began digging. They all stood in silence until Alexander spoke.

"I- I didn't know you had a daughter.", he said. Clova looked to Ellie, her face beamed.

"You have a daughter? Could we be friends?", she asked joyfully. She was confused when Ellie frowned.

"I had.", she replied, hinting the key word. It took a moment before Clova got the message and gasped.

"I'm sorry.", She smiled at Clova's kindness.

"What was her name?", Alexander queried curiously. Ellie's voice started to crack.

"Sarah.", Alexander apologised for her loss and Ellie tried to hold back her choked tears.

"Well, now I have you and your dad.", she stated gently earning a sweet smile from the boy.

A loud sudden boom rocked the area. The horses were startled and jolted back in alarm, Caesar was about to ride to the direction of the explosion when stopped by Rocket.

"I'll go check.", he insisted. Blue Eyes raised his arm.

"I'm going too.", he said. Caesar shook his head and Cornelius poked his head over his brother's shoulder, now woken up by the loud commotion.

"Is Clova okay?", he signed worriedly. Blue Eyes took him in his lap and laid his head on his chest.

"Rocket, go.", spoke Caesar and Rocket gathered a few more apes to follow him to the sound.

Back inside, cobbles of small rocks and stones fell from the ceiling and created a foggy mist. One of the rocks hit Clova on the side of her head, creating a small gash by her ear, she screamed in pain and held her face only to be comforted by Ellie. She ripped the hem of her shirt to tie around her head to secure the faint bleeding from infection, more cries were heard from inside and she ran to the now blocked entrance to the tunnel.

As Rocket climbed down into the dam, he heard panicked cries and yells from the humans and became more worried. Ellie heard faint creaks from above and looked up to the ladder, she saw a group of ape shaped silhouettes.

"Please, help us!", she begged. Alexander joined her.

"Please, my dad!", Rocket signed to the other apes, who didn't hesitate and began removing the large pile of boulders. 

He saw Clova sat down on the side clutching her head and knelt by her, she showed him her bleeding head and Rocket helped her up the ladder for her to rest on his horse. He went back down to help the others dig up the buried men from the collapsing tunnel, after minutes of intense digging, he saw Carver, his face was gored with scratches and blood. Once all the men were rescued safely, they helped them back to their camp.