That Probably Wasn't the Best Thing to Say

The hallways were flooding with students as they started rushing out of the classrooms as if there were a fire, but really everyone was just super excited to get home and catch up with their friends on what happened with their summer. It was the first day of a new school year and high school student Sophia Heatherson was especially happy to see her super bestest buddy Zach.

Sophia and Zach go way back to kindergarten days. It all started when a five year old Sophia Heatherson was in the school playground being bullied by mean little boys who were stealing her cookies and viciously tugging on her pigtails. All she could do was stand there and cry her eyes out. Then, six year old Zachary Wilson abandoned his playmates as he heard the cries of a damsel in distress and came to her rescue like superman would and told off the mean boys.

Zach still saw little innocent Sophia sitting on the ground, crying over her broken cookies as well as her messed up hair. She was shocked to see a hand picking up her pink bow clip from the grass that had fallen out from the assault on her hair and pinned it back nicely to her hair. That had stopped her incessant wailing. What put a smile on her face and made her day was the organic apple juice box offered to her by her hero fresh out of his spaceman lunchbox. Ever since then, Zach has been standing up to Sophia like a big brother would towards his sister.

The problem was that Sophia wanted to push their relationship a little bit further towards the 'dating' status. She has been ogling over him since the seventh grade, and he still has no idea that his best friend had a little crush on him.

How could he? Ever since the school's queen bee Jessica Dale broke up with her previous 'boyfriend', she has been dropping very not so subtle hints on Zach that she was interested in him. Sophia couldn't blame her though. He was gorgeous. Throughout the years of their friendship, multiple girls came up to him and tried doing the exact same things Jessica did, only he didn't get the obvious hints and thought that they were just really annoying. She didn't know why he started noticing this one.

Sophia felt a very muscular arm draped around her shoulders as she was walking through the hall. She didn't flinch or get scared in any way though. Those were the things Zach would do to his best friend, but sadly not his girlfriend.

"Hey there, little Sophia." He greeted her with a very big smile on his face. His smiles were never this big, and that has gotten Sophia very curious as to what the reason was that landed such an enormous smile on her friend's face.

"Oh, and what has gotten you so happy?" Sophia asked as she looked back up to the shining smile plastered on his lips. She regretted it later though. Before he answered her question, he first threw his head back and let out a very loud chuckle.

"I'm in love, Soph." He raised his hands as to emphasize his point like a love sick fool. Sophia shocked and was left to listen to what he was going to say next, crying inside. "Jessica is making it super obvious that she has a thing for me." That just crushed Sophia's insides. She could feel her heart falling, but she couldn't let him see that. The more she thought about it, the more she felt her heart being crushed by his words.

"Really?" That was all she said as she tried to put on the most convincing fake smile she could. It wasn't that believable to be honest, but Zach wasn't paying the slightest bit of attention to her facial expressions anyway because he was to busy seeing hearts and rainbows everywhere.

"Yup! She even invited me to her friend's party." He said as he started walking more confidently. Sophia, on the other hand, was practically limping from the heartache he was unintentionally casting upon her.

"I think that the party is going to be the day one of us makes a move." He added, looking as proud and happy as ever. Sophia wanted to cringe so badly, but a million and one reasons told her to just hold it in and suck it up.