Incapable Love // C11

"Honestly I'd never expect for me to like you this much" - Unknown

Scarlett's POV:

I stood there baffled at Jack's sudden turn of personality. My head told me not to let him in and to ignore him because he deserved it but my heart was telling me to let him in. He did try to take advantage of me so he definitely doesn't deserve my kindness...but maybe he had a reason. Ugh, damnit...

"Sure" I stated as I backed away from the doorway and welcomed him into Jade's house.

He looked around the foyer, "nice place" he mumbled in a low voice.

"It's Jade's parents' house", I remarked still eyeing him suspiciously as he wandered around the foyer looking at decor, "Jack, what are you doing here?"

He immediately turned around, "where's the kitchen? I need some water" his scratchy voice stated. His voice was strange, it was like he was screaming all night...oh gosh.

He started walking past me, "stop" I stated wanting an explanation before I welcomed him fully with open arms.

"You need to do some explaining, you've been a jerk this entire week and I can't allow you to wander around Jade's house without an explanation" I remarked forcefully as Jack didn't make eye contact with me.

He sighed before he finally turned to look me and for the first time I saw the real pain he was masking behind his eyes.

I immediately softened the tone in my voice, "Jack, what's wrong?", I asked as he tried to maneuver around me but I firmly place my hand on his forearm.

He walked over to the couch and dropped his head into his hands, he was clearly holding something back. I followed him and sat down on the couch deciding whether I should pry or not.

"Jack, I'm here for you...you can tell me" I reassured as I placed my hand on his back.

"I can't Scarlett, I just can't anymore" he stated as his voice cracked.

I was about to say something but he continued, surprisingly.

"It feels like every time I️ find someone new they don't compare to what you make me feel. And that's not fair because you clearly hate me, which is my fault but I️ don't know what to do" he said before something inside of him broke and he started to cry. "I'm so conflicted Scarlett and I know this isn't fair to you but nobody else would understand."

Completely shocked by his confession of feelings for me, I did the only thing I could. I pulled him into a hug and I allowed him to rest his head on my shoulder as I wrapped my arms around his neck. I didn't know what to say, this is literally what I've wanted since day one but he did sleep with all of those other girls. However, I was curious as to how long he was holding back his feelings for me. The dampness of his clothes was starting to seep onto mine but I didn't care, I just held him.

I heard his soft sobs and I decided to play with his wet hair, I knew he found it comforting whenever I did it. Eventually, his sobs slowed and I felt his arms wrap around my back. He pulled me closer to him and looked into my eyes. I was soon shocked to find his lips on mine. This kiss was different from the one from last week though. The same amount of passion was there but the last kiss was rough and desperate, this one was more gentle and genuine. However, I still automatically pulled away because my feelings for Jack were so conflicted that I had no other way to respond.

"Um, I think I'll go make some coffee" I stated quickly getting up and walking into the kitchen.

I rested my back against the counter as I watched the Keurig start to make the French roast. What the heck just happened? The guy that I've liked these past few weeks just admitted his feelings for me after sleeping with several girls. I replaced the filled mug with another mug and reset the Keurig to make another serving of coffee before I returned to my spot by the counter. I didn't really know what to do at this point, should I confess my feelings to him or hold back because he's already hurt me once.