6

"Mai, I'm sorry about the whole 'child' stuff last night. I was tired a-and, I don't know, I'm just really sorry. I didn't mean to scare you."

Naturally, when Taehyung goes off at me, his soft side apologizes for it the next day.

"It's ok." I said as I cleaned the dishes from last night.

"I mean, we haven't even had our first kiss yet." He laughed nervously.

The room was silent. It was obvious he was desperate to start moving things to the next level, but that's the exact opposite of what I wanted.

"Mai, w-would you ever want to be a mom? I mean, with me? I think you'd be a really great mom; a loving one that other moms would be jealous of." He smiled softly.

"I, um, hadn't thought about it, really. Im just not ready for that."

"Oh, right, ok. Well, I should get going or I'll be late for class. Are there any books you want this time?"

Taehyung's alternative for my education is me looking over his notes and reading books that he picks out from school. It's definitely not the same as actual school but at least it gives me something to do.

"Maybe a book about house plants?"

"Ok. I'll see you later, alright? I love you." He said then locked the door behind him.

You'd think I would have found a way out of this house by now. The windows are small and made of a weird glass, if that's even what it is, and is impossible to break. The only way in and out of this prison is the front door. A key locks the inside and out, and that key is on a chain wrapped around Taehyung's neck; he never removes it.

"I just have to get him to take the necklace off, and I'm practically free."

******

"Good morning students! I'm afraid I have the same terrible news as I have had these past few months but, Miss Yung is still missing. There has been no further leads but the police are still investigating. Also, a reminder that the curfew is still in order and, say it with me:

"Always walk with a buddy."

As I heard the class of 75 voices say the same phrase in unison day after day, I couldn't help but become even more irritated with them.

If they actually knew where Mai was, how safe and protected she was, there would be no curfew, no phrase, no missing persons posters with her beautiful face plastered across them, they wouldn't be so concerned; hell, half these so called sorrowful students don't even know who she is; it's just an act to get out of assignments, "professor, I'm too distraught to even think about that essay right now. Just think of poor Mai!" What a load of bull.

"These people are clueless." I whispered under my breath.

Ever since the night I brought Mai home, the night she was suppose to go to her Aunt's, people have been going crazy about her. At first, there were prayer groups for her safety, missing posters flooded the campus hallways, even a club called Find Mai came about.

"I bet she's being held in a cellar with a bunch of other dead bodies."

"Of course not, there's no way she's still alive, I mean, have you seen her pictures? She ain't got an ounce of muscle on her."

"I can only image the horror she's going through."

What? How could these people think I could do such terrible things to my Mai? I would never hurt her. These people disgust me.

After class, I went to the library to pick out a house plants book that Mai asked for and brought it up to the counter.

"They still haven't found that poor girl. She must be scared out her mind." The librarian sighed.

My eye twitched in annoyance, "I'm sure she's just fine." I scoffed and left with my books.

******

I heard Taehyung's car pull up on the long dirt road. This was it. If I had any chance of escaping this place, I had to start doing something about it.

"Welcome home, honey." I said sweetly.

Taehyung was a little surprised by his new nickname, in fact, it was his first time hearing me call him anything other than "Taehyung," "freak," or "monster."

"Um, hi." He smiled happily. "I got the books you wanted."

"That's great, thanks." I said and put the books on the table. "Um, Taehyung, I thought, since it's a beautiful day and all, that we could go out for a bit."

His rectangular smile quickly disappeared and his eyes shot at me like daggers.

"No." He said sternly.

"But, I was thinking we could-"

"I said no! God, Mai, what have I told you about asking to leave?!"

"I don't want to leave! I-I just want to spend more time with you and not in this big lonely house." My voice cracked and I prayed he wouldn't see through my lie.

"Y-you want to spend time with me?" His expression was a mix of confusion and glee.

"Yes. I thought we could have a picnic outside, or maybe take Charlie for a walk."

"Th-that's a wonderful idea, darling! I'll go get his leash"

'she wants to spend time with me? I've waited so long for this!'

Little did he know, getting closer to him was apart of my plan. Gaining his trust was the best I could do if I had any chance of getting that damn key!