1x02

Quote: "Life is about balance. Be kind, but don't let people abuse you. Trust, but don't be deceived. Be content, but never stop improving yourself."

Published: January 8, 2018

|

Chapter 3: "Second Chance At First Line"

On Monday I stayed after school to watch lacrosse practice since I had to because Stiles is my ride home. I sit down at the bottom of the benches near coach as he's yelling at the team.

"Let's go! One-on-One from the top! Jackson, take a long stick today. Atta boy." He says as Jackson does what he asked and stands in front of the goal keeper to help defend the other players from making a shot. A few players try to score as Jackson keeps either knocking them down or hitting the ball out of their lacrosse sticks. "That's how you do it, Jackson. That's how you do it!" I laugh at coach as he makes Greenberg take a lap and just his hate for him couldn't get any better. "McCall, what are we waiting for? Let's go." He says snapping Scott out of his daze. Scott takes off running towards the goal. I wince as he is knocked straight to the ground. "Hey, McCall. Hey McCall!" Coach laughs as he makes his way towards him.

I tune in my hearing just in time to hear Jackson speak up. "You sure you still want to be first line, McCall?" He says as he walks away which gets me mad.

Scott gets up off the ground and bends down putting his hands on his knees. Coach fully walks over to him and bends down next to him. "My - my grandmother can move faster than that. And she's dead. You think you can move faster than the - lifeless corpse of my dead grandmother?"

"Yes, coach." At that I start to get worried hearing Scott start to breath more heavy and growl a little bit.

"I can't hear you."

"Yes, coach."

"Then do it again." Coach says as Scott starts to run back to the front of the line. "McCall's gonna do it again! McCall's gonna do it again! Let's go!" Coach blows his whistle as Scott takes off towards Jackson and hits him in the shoulder really hard knocking him onto the ground this time. Scott drops to his knees and I quickly get up rushing over to him along with Stiles.

"Scott?" Stiles asks.

"Scott, you okay?" I ask really worried now.

"I can't control it, Zoey, Stiles. It's happening."

"What? Right here? Now?" Stiles questions. "Come on, get up. Come on. Come on." At that Stiles and I both put an arm around Scott and lead him to the locker room. Also on the way there I see Derek watching us but I just completely ignore it knowing the reason why he's there. My top priority right now is making sure Scott controls the shift.

We get to the locker room as Scott leans up against the tile wall. "Come on, here we go. There. That's it." Stiles says.

"You okay?" I ask. "Scott, you okay?"

Scott then yells at us completely shifted. "Get away from me!" At that I quickly grab onto Stiles' hand pulling him around a set of lockers, but that was no use as Scott jumps up on top of the lockers. We quickly run around another set as Scott continues moving on top of a set of pillars. We then run over to the locker room door as Stiles runs into a fire extinguisher. He quickly grabs it as Scott growls at us and jumps off the lockers about ready to attack us as Stiles sprays him with it. That distracts Scott as Stiles pulls me by the hand out of the locker room leaning up against the wall with the fire extinguisher still in his hands.