II. Sotto Voce

Hailey walked to her class just before the bell rang, even with the almost gothic attire she wore to ward off attention she still managed to garner the attention of some people whom she internally dubbed "jobless."

What is wrong with wanting to feel invisible? She thought to herself.

She let out a tired sigh as she opened the door to her class and sat down in the middle.
This morning she was having English.
She brought out her textbooks and skimmed through the topic for the day as you might have guessed she skimmed through because she had read the topic over and again, characteristics 101 of being an A student. Moreover, it was not like she had a tight schedule.

"Good morning, class." Mr Edwards, the 'English' teacher who happened to be Britain-born too, greeted in his cockney accent. He went on. "Today we have a new student." That got the attention of the class.

When Hailey looked up to see the new student she immediately froze and started chanting under her breath. "No no no- what is she doing here?" At that precise moment her eyes met that of Cara who seemed surprised at first then the surprise morphed into a full-fledged grin.

Hailey turned pale at that and wished for the earth to swallow the apparition called Cara -what were you thinking? no way was she going to wish the earth to swallow her first-

Hailey's thought was interrupted when she heard the teacher asking Cara to say something about herself.

"Thank you,Mr- "

"you can call me Mr Edwards." The teacher aided her,Cara beamed and continued.
"Thank you Mr Edwards, my name is Cara Sullivan and I just moved in here, I love basketball and jump rope, Pop music also and I love making new friends."

At the last statement Hailey rolled her eyes at the same time Mr Edwards nodded in approval and told Cara to take a seat and that she was welcomed to SPRING HIGH SCHOOL. All eyes were on Cara like schools of shark looking at a small Tuna in their midst. Cara was less concerned though as she made her way through the isle of desks and finally made it to where Hailey sat.
If looks could kill the murderous look Hailey was right now giving to an oblivious Cara would have sent her 6ft. underground.

"Hey there!" Cara drawled,

*silence*

"uhmm Hailey, right?"

*silence*

"why do I get the feeling that am being ignored?"

"That's because you ARE being ignored." Hailey replied flippantly while looking at Cara.

Cara kept a straight face as she held Hailey's gaze. Hailey still yet to figure out why she wasn't saying anything was about to appreciate the quiet when Cara shattered the silence with a screech.

"grrrrr! A smart alec uhn... Am so glad we are friends."

"I am not your—"

"Miss Adams, you will do well to adapt the right attitude to learning before you accidentally make yourself available for detention." Mr Edwards, distracted by their noise warned.

"Yes, Mr Edwards." Hailey who was exasperated beyond words simply mumbled while throwing Cara an icy look.

"Sotto voce, Miss Sullivan."

"Sotto wah?" Cara asked as she earned herself few sniggers from the class.

"Root is Italian.
Part of speech is adjective/adverb.
Meaning-- "in a quiet voice so that not everyone can hear."