VII. Still In The Dark

Again!

she just had to ditch class for another whole week with her phone switched off.

Cara put it at the back of her mind to pay Hailey a visit during the weekend and also couldn't wait to chat with the intelligent cyber-robot.

"What are you thinking of?" Her mother's voice cut through her thought.

"Hailey." she answered.

"Hm. I still can't wrap my head around the fact that she is 'the' Adams. What a small world uhn?" Her mum said as she absentmindedly did the laundering. "She is really humble, just like her parents."

"Mum, what's the matter?" Cara who had been studying her mom this whole time asked.

"What is what?" Phoebe asked confused.

"You just mixed the whites with a coloured vest."

"Oh my goodness! What was I thinking?"

"Exactly mum. Are you all right? You are distracted."

"I am okay dear. Let's just make dinner later for your dad."

"He is rarely at home and he skipped dinner again last night. Is he okay. Are both of you okay, mom?" Cara asked with a suspicious tone.

"Sweetie, hou worry too much, we are fine. I guess he has lots of work to do." Her mom said, deep in thought, like she was trying to convince herself more.
"He'll come around. You know we both adore you, you are like our favorite daughter." She faked a cheerful tone to keep Cara from worrying.

"Am your only daughter, mom." Cara said grinning, now assured that her mom is okay.

"Okay, smartie pants, off to the kitchen or..." her mum paused for effect. "off with her head!"

Cara laughed as she told her mom off. "Mom, am your daughter not Alice, my head can't go off. I am your only daughter."

"My 'favourite' daughter's head can't go off, but my only daughter's can." her mom deadpanned.

"Mum, that doesn't even make sense." Cara replied with amusement lacing her words.

"Now who is the mom here, young lady?"

"I feel like the mom here already." Cara muttered to herself.

"What did you say?" Her mom asked, the corners of her eyes crinkling with amusement.

"Nothing, oh queen of hearts! Am off to the kitchen to do your bidding." Cara giggled as she left her mom  and made towards the kitchen.

Her mum watched with a bitter-sweet smile, what she would give not to make her daughter sad, but so much have been said and even though she has stayed for the happiness of her daughter, she doesn't know how long she would last before she breaks down.

And a sad mom can't make a happy daughter.

The universe doesn't work that way, she wiped a tear off her face as she glanced the way of the kitchen, definitely not, she thought, the universe doesn't work that way.

♠♦♦♦♦♠♦♦♦♦♠

"Hailey, you are confusing me, I thought we were good?"

"We ARE good Cara, but it is not something I can explain right now. I'll tell you some other time."

"When the time is right,I guess." Cara snorts. "A week Hailey, and you expect me to wait for 'some other time?!' When is that, tomorrow, next week, next month, year, heck the next century?" Cara was shouting now.