XIII. Love Enough For Two

Cara didn't know when she arrived. Her head was in the clouds, like she floated home.
She was extremely happy because of Greg but now she was here and it was like an ominous cloud settled above her head, she and her mom had to talk.

"Mom, am home!" She announced as she took off her gloves. The cold outside was getting worse but thanksfully she was well groomed for it, call it counter-attack.

She waited for a reply but none came so she went ahead to check each rooms. She checked the kitchen, then she went to her parents room, no one there.

She was about going downstairs to check the guest room when she heard a rustle coming from her room, she opened the door and peeped in when she saw her mother propped up by the window, looking out the balcony with utmost concentration, far gone from reality.
That was why she didn't hear her when she called.

She walked into the room and stopped beside the bed, on it was the family album, pictures of her dad, mom and herself. She walked to the window and placed her head on her mom's shoulder.

"You should forgive him, mom. I talked to dad today, he never meant to hurt us."

Her mom having broke out of her trance registered her daughter's presence and words.

"How is he?"

"He is getting better."

"Okay, I'll leave now Cara. Am going to the hospital."

"But mum—"

"Not now Cara. Not now," her mum said as she retreated. "the food is in the microwave."

She sighed.

"Okay mom, love you."

"Love you too, bye."

She shrugged as she made her way to the kitchen. No petnames.

It was up to her dad now. She wasn't really bothered since her dad assured her that he would fight for them and she believed him.

♠♦♦♦♦♠♦♦♦♦♠

Cara's cell phone sat in the middle of Hailey's room with Hailey at one end tapping her foot lightly in a staccato rhythm and Cara was at the other end chewing on her nails nervously. The atmosphere of the room was quiet and thick with tension.

"Are you sure the phone is still on?"

Cara grabbed the phone and checked. "It is."

Both girls looked at each other, then at the phone in the centre of the room.

"Hailey, check if the signal is okay."

"It is."

"Why isn't it ringing then?" Cara lamented. "He said he'll call by this time and it's past already."

Just then the phone rang and Cara hurriedly scrambled answer it. "Hello?"

"Hello, can you hear me?"

"Hailey!" Cara looked at her friend both amused and annoyed at the same time.

"Sorry, I just had to call to know if the phone was truly functional or not." Hailey said sheepishly as she ended the call.

Just then the phone rang and Cara made sure to check the number and when she registered it was his number, she screamed. "It's him!!!"