Chapter 3

1st day

"Ben agreed that I should come to his house today. I mean, he did not invite me personally, but he left this note," I said to Carla that was completely distracted. "Are you listening to me?"

"Yes. Let me see the note." I did what she asked. I stretched my arm so that she could get the note on the couch where she was sitting. I ended up falling on the floor, causing laughter in Carla. She rose from the sofa and sat on the floor next to me. "In my house. 4:30 p.m. But only this? But where's the address?" Carla said after reading the note.

"Ben is not stupid. He should imagine that I knew where his house is."

"But of course that he imagined. He lives only one block from your house. Certainly, he must have noticed one of its thousands of times that you made me come along with you in front of his house, to see any sign of Ben over there. He must have thought that you are a psychopath."

"Carla!" I threw the pillow on her. "Will you go with me there?"

"What I will do there?"

"Give me support."

"Do not even think about it. I do not have anything to do there. I'm not even in the same class as you."

"But you are in the same school grade, and the schoolwork is the same."

"You are wrong. In our class, your mother asked us to play a game. She has overcome this time."

Carla did not want to get in the house of Benjamin, but she accompanied me to the gate of his house, this helped me a lot already. I do not know if I would have been coming here if she had not obliged me.

The Ben's was only one block of mine. I lived near him, but far enough to me to do not have any contact with him. Carla said goodbye even before I pressed the button on the interphone.

Carla lives in a neighborhood next to mine; she had always depended on the bus to come to my area. One spend that she was keen to keep so that our friendship never would end.

I stood still in front of Ben's house for ten minutes; up to, I get the courage and press the button on the interphone. It was 4:40 p.m. That meant that I was a bit late.

I press the button for at least three times, up until I a woman attended me. A sweet and tired voice spoke with me:

"Good evening! Who is?"

"My name is Gabrielle. I have schoolwork with Ben...Oh! Benjamin," I said a little ashamed. How could I have been so intimate by calling him that?

The woman on the other side opened the gate giving me passage. The yellow house of two floors seen after of gate rails gave me a better vision of how it was beautiful. There is a garden around the house. The grass was well trimmed, and instead of the stairs, there was a small ramp leading to the entrance of the house. Seemed to have been adapted to the current situation of Ben.

I ambled up to the house entrance. Ben's mom opened the door to me. How did I know she was his mother?

Her presence was constant in school, due to everything that Ben did wrong. I could not help but notice her in the school corridors talking to her son. Just like Ben, she also seemed downcast. She is thinner, and she is with some gray hairs too. It looked like she did not care what color her hair was.

She received me with a smile and invited me to enter. The heavy rock sound was echoing through the house. I hardly heard her speak.

"I'm sorry for this whole buzz. It's Ben," She said. "I'll tell him that you're here. Please, sit down," She said pointing out to the beautiful reclining sofa and red retractable seat.