Chapter 6

4th Day

One of the disadvantages of being paraplegic is depended on someone to do everything this someone was my mother. She was my legs and sometimes my arm. My father gave up on me some time ago. Therefore, I gave up on him too. We did use to spend all our time discussing, but his disinterest for me was due to the fact, how he even says, I made no effort to recover me.

My mother helped me out of the car, and I sat in the wheelchair. A significant effort to a woman that already appeared to be tired, but she never stopped being around. We had an adapted car with ramp, but today it was in the repair shop.

A group of girls that were close to the school wall looked at me with curiosity. Nowadays the girls see me as an aberration. Some of them feel sorry for me, what I think it is worse than be seen as an aberration.

I feel their looks on me again while my mother guides my wheelchair. I already know what they must be thinking: He is so handsome. It is a pity that he has paraplegia. It was one more disadvantage. Girls do not feel attraction for a guy who depends on a wheelchair to move.

Mom lowered her face trying to give a kiss on my cheek. I turned my face trying avoiding this embarrassment in public.

"Mom not here. Okay?" She crossed her arms staring at me with anger.

"Don't you want to show to the others you are a loving son?"

"Mom, please!" I lowered my head a little embarrassed.

"Okay! Do you want help to enter the school?"

"No need, thank you," I said and saw Carla in front of the school gate. She tried to straighten her blond hair while the wind did the job of messing her up. She had the face of an angel. "Bye, mom," I said, and I went in the direction to Carla.

"Hello!" I greeted her. I was sure that I saw Carla rolling the eyes. She looked instinctively down and let it show on her face that she did not like my presence there. Better, she did not like me.

"What do you want?" She asked irritably.

"A good morning, a hello. How are you, Benjamin? I am fine. Thanks for asking," Carla pretended a laugh.

"What do you want with Elle, after all?" I looked at girls a little puzzled. I did not like the way she said that question.

"I want to do the English work. What more could I want with she, after all?" I replied. Carla was suddenly silent. The attention of her eyes turned to a young man who entered the school.

He was skinny, his face covered by pimples, his brown hair badly combed and I could see his braces while he was smiling to Carla.

"So these are the types of guys you like?"

"Go to hell, Benjamin!" She said and followed in the direction of the boy.

I followed my way to the classroom. Elle already was there with her traditional ponytail, her large glasses covering most of his face and her unmistakable sweet perfume invading the whole classroom.

She was writing something in her notebook and did not notice when I arrived. I went to my place. I grabbed a rubber from my backpack and threw it at her. She looked at me instantly. Her mouth was open of indignation. She was a face nothing friendly.

"Good morning! Get the rubber for me," I said.

"Why don't you come pick up?"

"Is challenge?"