Chapter 23

31st Day

I started with a little color on my face. A little sun exposure by the pool yesterday, made a more attractive tone on my skin. I remember waking up in Benjamin's arms, trying to break free, I felt slightly embarrassed. It was not long before I left, and today I woke up with sudden regret that I had run away from him.

At school, I was visibly grumpy that Ben did not show up. His mother insisted/forced that he should stay home and rest. It would be another day the message exchange. My mother has decreed new rules. I could only go to Ben's house twice a week. And since I had already gone to his home yesterday, I would not be able to go there today. Well, I guess I would have to accept only the message exchanges.

32nd Day

It was after two o'clock when someone clapped in front of my house. I ran to the living room, and my heart exploded with joy as I sight of Benjamin.

"Your mother forbade you from coming to my house, but she did not forbid me to come in yours. We have until which time, princess?"

"6:30 pm," I answered and ran to open the gate.

33rd Day

Ben and I went together to the mall looking for a birthday present for Carla. It was a typical sunny day, but that day it seemed like there was more than one sun in the sky. The bus was empty, which relieved the heat, and it gave me an empty seat to sit on.

I was hesitant about what I would give my friend as a gift. I could not remember anything she needed. She had everything. Her family had right financial conditions. Money has never been a problem for her family. It was then that I remembered that what she wanted was a little freedom. She tried to make her own decisions; maybe this was about to happen. Saturday she would be 18 years old, but her freedom would come when she could sustain herself.

We had already entered two stores and still had not found anything that caught my attention.

"It's gonna take a while?" Ben asked a little bored. Ben had already bought his gift from the first shop we entered. He was quick to choose, did not look too much, he just asked the opinion of a saleswoman, and bought the first blouse he had seen. What puzzled me was that he did not ask for my opinion. I am her best friend. I hope Ben does not think I have bad taste. I hope he does not consider this.

We paused for a snack. While I drank my soda, I was a little embarrassed by the way Ben looked at me.

"What?" I put the soda can on the table.

"Since you are not finding anything material to give, give something emotional."

"I did not understand."

"Does she like pets?"

"I do not have enough money."

"I can buy it."

"No, thank you! The gift is mine. So that means the money has to be mine too."

"Rude!"

"So, don't start offering to pay things for me."

"Elle, can you stop? Or do I have to go and shut you up with a kiss?" Ben did not know how to be discreet at the most times. I felt a few pairs of eyes stuck in me. I did not want to look around to see the faces of curious people. Ben did not say just for me to listen, but for the whole cafe too. He knew how to shut me up.

"Douchebag!" I whispered.

"I know you like me."

"That's what you think."