Chapter 22

28th Day

One of the worst things to do after a night of partying is getting up early. The week was not over yet. It was Friday, and we had yet another day of class. Then, even my brain insisting that I should sleep a little longer, my body overcame the fact that I should act like a good girl, and get out of bed. Carla was not in the bedroom when I woke up. I heard his voice from the kitchen. She was talking to my mother. They got along. That is right before we met. Carla had always been a good student, and her sympathy had already conquered my mother, despite being eight years old.

I liked her friendship. She was the sister I never had, and I felt she was thinking the same of me. Like me, she was an only child.

"My mother wants you to go to lunch at our house on Sunday," Ben said while we were doing work in pairs. I focused on the exercise when I remembered that I had already had lunch at his home on a Sunday. The end was not very pleasant. I thought maybe one day I could invite him for lunch at my house too. My mother would not refuse. I could tell her that I had already invited Benjamin; she would not be unethical making me go and disown him. I know she would not do this. "Are you listening to me?"

"I'm. I just want to know what you are trying to transform me. Some rebellious daughter?" Ben smiled. "But I'll find a way."

"My mother already knows about us."

"Oh!" I did not expect Ben to tell us about his family, not now. "Ben, don't you think it's too soon to say something to our families?"

"Too soon?" Ben looked at me intrigued. "My mother like you. Then, as for her, you can rest easy. Now, I think it would be too soon to tell your mother. She doesn't like me."

"Not really."

"You know this," I played with the pencil between my fingers trying to appease the nervousness before being presented to Ben's parents as his girlfriend. "My mother was happy when I told her. She knows you make me well," I stopped staring at my notebook and looked at Benjamin.

"And your father?"

"My dad does not care much what girl I'm dating. Whether she is right, not, whether she is full of defects, or not, it does not matter to him. He is neutral. He will not intrude. You have more in your favor, but I... Who is your father, Elle?" I did not expect that question. I did not know my father's figure. Neither physical nor character.

"I do not know him. He and my mom stopped talking for good. He did not make a point of keeping me in his life either."

"I'm sorry, I should not have asked," I shrugged.

"I do not care. I did not miss him. Many people say they would like to meet their father. I do not. As I said, he did not miss it. I would miss Mother if she left. I lived and live with her, what not happened to my father. I do not hate him, nor do I love him. I hope you have understood my reasoning."

"Makes sense."

Ben did not touch the subject of "my father" that day. I also did not like to talk about it. I found it unnecessary to have given explain about one people that I did not know.

29th Day

The intense heat made me spend most of the morning sitting on the floor of the porch of my house. My mother took the opportunity to correct some schoolwork. Sitting in one of the four chairs, she worked hard on one of her duties as a teacher. Nothing distracted her for a moment that she was determined not to make any mistakes, except when I opened my mouth to speak:

"Ben's mother invited me to go and have lunch at her house tomorrow."

"When did you saw her, if you're grounded? And the only requirement is that you do not go to Benjamin's house," I blushed and decided to insist, or rather to lie.