Chapter 26

My mother got up early to prepare lunch. Although she did not 100% accept my relationship with Ben, she would not treat him grossly in her home. Unless Ben said, something to displease her, and I sincerely hoped he would not do it.

I helped her prepare the salad, though she did not like it. I was a fan of food, but I never enjoyed cooking or helping to develop the menu, but I decided to make that little effort because of Benjamin. I was still, dressed in my pajamas, I helped my mother do the rest of the day's chores. Soon I hurried to get ready.

As I dried my hair, I could not help but notice a pimple that had resolved to appear on my face this morning, making me even more apprehensive. I heard someone clapping. It could only be Ben. I tied my hair in my old ponytail while I ran to meet him. I opened the gate, and I see him with a basket filled with chocolate, accompanied by a vase of orchid.

"This is not for you," He said and smiled. "I have to please my mother-in-law. Chocolates to sweeten the day of a bitter person," Ben smiled, and that stopped me from fighting him because somehow he had offended my mother. "Do you think she'll like it? Or is she the kind that is difficult?"

"I'm sure she'll love it. She just will not tell. She does not give up so easily."

Still on the porch, Ben handed the basket to my mother. She held the basket and studied it for a moment.

"Thank you!" My mother said just that, although she is corroding inside because she loves chocolate, she would not give way. Not when it comes to Benjamin. She handed the basket in my hand and helped bring Ben inside, which she did better than I did after all.

She and I sat side by side on the couch and Ben in his wheelchair. Ben narrowed his gaze and looked at me as if he was asking for my permission for something, that I did not know what it was. An irritating silence it lasted. Then Ben began to speak...

"Well, I do not know if I should say this before lunch, that may have made you lose your hunger, but if I say this after lunch, you may have indigestion."

"Ben, please!"

"Calm down, my love! Elle." Ben corrected himself after my mother glared at him.

"Quit stalling and spit it out."

"Mom!"

"All right, Elle. She is your mother. Nothing surprises me," I wanted a hole to thread my head in it. I knew this would not work.

"Mom, do not mind!" I whispered to her.

"Here's the thing, Elizabeth. Is that ... Well..." Ben snorted. "This is going to be difficult." My mother raised her eyebrows. "Elle and I, as you know, we're dating... I know it does not make sense anymore since we are already dating, but I wanted to ask for your blessing or your authorization. I do not know which word is best at a time like this. I just do not want to date Elle in secret. So, what is your answer?" My mother studied him in silence and did not confirm what Ben had asked.

"Ben, what do you think about the future? What do you want to do after you finish high school? What do mean, after some days."

"Oh!" Ben smiled. I knew he would not say the right thing. "I'm asking for me to date your daughter and not in marriage," Ben fired and I scolded him with the look of the mocking tone he used.

"So is that your sensible answer?" Ben shrugged. I suppose a few years go by, so you mean you would not ask to marry her." I looked at Ben, then at my mother, but what a strange turn this conversation was taking. I am only sixteen.

"Suppose a few years pass, and your daughter and I are still together, I do not know if I would ask her to marry me. I do not know what happened to my mind in a few years."