Final- Chapter 29

That night seemed eternal. It was a long time before I fell asleep while remembering that my destiny had been traced. Carla slept in my house. I did not have the strength to go to Ben's house. I knew how much I had hurt him, treacherously and cowardly. I sent several messages to him. After the 33rd he answered me with one, go to hell. I called after that but got voicemail.

How did I not think of the drastic changes that this would cause in my life? One of those changes would be Benjamin, but I did not want to lose him. Everything was great between us; I was living a dream, and I just ruined it.

As soon as the sun's light penetrated the cracks in my bedroom window, I woke up. I groped the nightstand, looking for my glasses. I was determined to go to Ben's house in an attempt to go and talk to him. Ben would have to listen to me. He knows I love him, and would never do anything to hurt him. I was dazzled, I did not think of the consequences that my sudden country change would bring. I will not go anywhere in the world if I have to leave him.

That was the first day after our disagreement that I had rung the intercom at Ben's house that was also the first day he did not answer. Mrs. Laura had said he was not home. I knew it was a lie. I watched your house all morning. I cannot believe he left the moment I went to the bathroom. In the following times who answer went to Ben's mother. She had drastically changed the tone that spoke to me every time I pressed the intercom.

"Thank you for finishing ruining my son's life," She told me once. I was in tears when Carla rescued me on the sidewalk. She was in my house every day after that. She brought me to reality every time I lost control.

As the days dragged on, it brought home Christmas. Soon the New Year. A New Year. A new direction in my life. A beginning I did not want without Benjamin. I was a mess. I desperately wanted to see him. I wanted to know what was going on in your head. I missed him.

My mother had already begun the process of exchanging tourist visas for students. She was already settling everything. College classes in the United States would start in June. That meant I had a few more months left.

"Elle, come in now!" My mom said pointing to the house. "I cannot stand seeing you that way anymore. Stop humiliating yourself. If Benjamin wanted to talk to you, he would have come to see you, or he would have met you at his house."

"Mom, please let me stay," I begged still on the sidewalk. "There are good Colleges in Brazil."

"How many people do you think would like to be in your place? Elle, come in, please!"

I reluctantly I walked inside of the home. I glanced at Ben's house, afraid I would lose him in seconds.

I knew she would use every method to convince me to go, not that I had any choice, but I knew that what she wanted was for me to feel like going.

"How many teenage couples do you think to remain together in adulthood? Tell me Elle, how many do you think will be together ten years from now?" I did not answer. I did not want to answer; I knew what she said was plausible. "Do not think that Ben will be the only guy you will love in your life. Breaking the courtship is difficult at first..."

"We haven't broken yet," I interrupted her.

"He does not even want to talk to you. Why do you have to keep getting martyred yourself?"

"Because you're making things difficult. I can do college here. My performance will be the same everywhere."

"In a few years, you will thank me. When you forget Ben, you will realize that it will be worth it. Remember what he said here at home about marriage. That will give you strength," She knew how to persuade me. She bit me with his poison and left it acting. She went to the bedroom and left me alone.