Chapter 19

I never expected to get something like that from Benjamin, not in one of the most beautiful dreams I have ever had with him. The paper trembled in my hand, as soon as I finished reading the last word. I was paralyzed in the middle of the schoolyard trying to believe every word written on that simple piece of paper. While the students turned away from me, someone took the paper from my hand without me noticing who approached. I thought the worst so I thought what would happen to me if that note fell into the wrong hands.

My heart beats faster, but his pace returned to normal when I realized that the student was Carla. She read each sentence silently. She shared the attention between the note and me. Her look of surprise and doubt denounced the same as I felt. If all Ben wrote was real, or it was our mind that was playing a practical joke on us, but of course, this could not be having the same effect on both of us. Carla tossed her hair that had fallen over her shoulder back. She sketched a smile, and held in my hands, trying to stop them from trembling.

"Elle!" She called me trying bringing me to reality. "This is an invitation. Ben is waiting for you. You need to run before he walks away thinking you did not dare go there to talk to him."

"My mother?" I stammered.

"I'll watch her. As soon as she leaves, I'll send you a message."

"You will miss your bus."

"Elle! Stop being so afraid. When are you going to get another chance like that? You dreamed about that day practically your entire teenage years. All right, it was not that way, but what he is doing is incredible. If you do not talk to him now, I won't talk to you anymore. I'm serious."

"You are not."

"Do you want me to drag you to him?" Carla gave me a slight push, implying that I should hurry. "Go, Elle!" Carla said in a slightly harsh voice.

I strolled to the school gate. Butterflies in my stomach were accompanying me. As soon as I got to the gate, I looked back. I watched Carla with her arms crossed. She was serious; I am sure if I did not hurry, she would drag me to Benjamin.

The front of the school was full of students and parents. The noise of several people talking at the same time took away some of my apprehension. My eyes wandered from side to side in search of Benjamin. I would not find him quickly, because of his situation, his height would not be visible to me, and he did not leave defined in which place he would be clear until I saw... A guy was jumping, trying to be more visible than the crowd of people around him. He waved to me. I made a face of disdain, and I turned my back to him. Then he called my name, and I could see that it was with me he wanted to talk.

"Elle!" I turned around, and I could see Marcos bowing his head and saying something to someone. I do not know what this abominable being was doing here. What exactly did he want with me? I looked at the paper in my hand and tried to imagine Marcos writing those words. I messed up the paper, then regretting to remember that it was Ben's handwriting, including all the chicken scratching that accompanied it. The touch of the message on my cell phone has eliminated my suspicions.

"It's me. Marcos is with me. No, he did not steal my cell phone and sent you this message."

I felt uncomfortable knowing that Marcos was part of it. I do not like him, and he does not like me, simple. Then, he did not have to know about my "relationship" with Ben. I thought about not going to talk to Ben, but through the school gate, I could still see Carla looking defiantly at me. I took a deep breath and apologized to all the people who prevented me from reaching Benjamin. As soon as my proximity to him became more remarkable, my nervousness increased. My hands were sweating, and my throat was dry. As I finally got close, I saw that Ben did a signal to Marcos leave. He obeyed, but before he winked at me. I rolled my eyes, and Marcos walked away from a little.