Chapter 18

23rd Day

A bad atmosphere between my mother and I continue the next day. The breakfast was even quieter than on ordinary days. The ride to school crawled. His look of disappointment was divided between the attention in the traffic and me. I spent most of the time looking at the repetitive landscape of the route to my school. I tried to sidestep the delicate look of my mother using the cell phone.

My social network was always empty, existed because it was one more way that I used to know what Ben was doing some years ago. I could not even do 50%, but he often posted something about his beautiful life. I had not added him as friends; I am sure if I had sent the invitation, Ben would not have accepted at that time. After he isolated himself and abandoned his social networks, then I started going on the social network less often until it turned into nothing.

Today the classes seemed endless. Without Benjamin's presence in the classroom, it was as if something had been missing all along. We did not spend all our time talking, but we managed to do this a few times. In the break, Fernando seemed more at ease in Carla's presence again. He was overcoming shyness slowly. The "embarrassing" moment had already passed, and this seemed to have made my friend happier, which made me a little less apprehensive to learn that I would have two more days without Ben's presence at the school.

The next class was from my mother. The relationship was the same as always since she made it clear that mother-daughter relationship would not exist in the classroom. Trust between us was broken yesterday. I slept in Benjamin's house it was not the right thing to do. Mainly because I was drunk, but if I had not drunk, this would not have happened. Then our trust would not have broken, and we would continue with our relationship from before.

I would go home by bus. I did not like it much since it was a rush time. The full bus was a sign that I would stand. I picked up my school supplies as soon as the bell rang; I wanted to get faster to the bus stop. My mother prevented me from leaving the classroom by calling me. I watched the class that still contained some students. I expected my mother's tone to come out a little lighter. Her expression did not appear to have anything abnormal. She seemed calm, but when her voice rumbled through the classroom showed the opposite.

"Elle, go straight home!" The other students looked at me instinctively. I nodded and left the classroom as soon as I passed the gate one of the students of in my class bumped into me.

"Go straight, baby," The student told me followed by a laugh.

"Or you will get punishment because the baby does not know how to behave right," The other said. I preferred to ignore your stupid comment.

"Or else I can hit your face, and you will not be able to do anything because I'm a girl," My favorite superhero's voice rumbled next to me.

Carla did not accept this type of joke that the students were doing with me; in fact, she did not agree that they did with nobody. If she were close, when something like that happened, she would always have something to say. The two students said something inaudible and went their way. Carla went with me to the bus stop since she depended on buses to go home. She was always a lucky person, even to catch the bus first then me. Unfortunately, I stayed a few minutes alone until my bus arrived.

I got off the bus and following home. I had to walk another five minutes to my house. As soon as I was approaching my house, I heard a whistle.

"Hey! I did not know doll walked," I rolled my eyes when I realized that it was Ben speaking one of the worst pickup lines ever invented.

"And I did not know that monkey was talking," I retaliated turning towards Ben's house.

"Your mood is up there today, huh? What happened to make you so good-humored?" Ben shouted across the street. He motioned for me to approach. I remembered that I was grounded, and that meant that I could not contact Ben's house, but my mother is not home, and I would not go into his house. I crossed the street and went to him.