Chapter 14

11th Day

I spent the whole night awake looking for Ben's psychologist on the internet. I never thought there were so many doctors with the name of Andréia Nascimento. However, one doctor, in particular, caught my attention. She was the only, which the office was located in our neighborhood. It was a street where I had never gone before. A Street that was mainly to stores. Stores that sell expensive products, maybe this has been the reason because I had never gone there. However, for me to go to a psychologist, first I would have to convince my mother. It was the hardest part, but I had a plausible argument.

After I get home from school, I called the office and made an appointment, it was not the best time, since it was in the morning, and I had to study. However, if I wanted to talk to the doctor as soon as possible, I would have to make an exception, since this was the only available time.

"I made an appointment with a psychologist," I said to my mother while I added a little extra salad on my plate. She looked up.

"You what?"

"I made..."

"I got it," She interrupted me. "Why did you do this without my permission? Why do you need to go to a psychologist? Are you with any trouble, Gabrielle?" Mom put her hand on the table as if she expected me to answer all the questions quickly. I did not like the way that she said my name.

"I do not have any trouble."

"But you just got one now."

"Mom!" I leaned back in the chair. I need use my plausible argument quickly. "You know, this thing about the study of medicine, I thought about working in the field of psychology. I just wanted to have an appointment to see how they are, and if is the profession that I want to pursue."

"Then that's it," She looked at me relieved. Her face seemed peaceful again. I think a daughter with psychological problems it is the last thing she wanted right now. "What is the date and time?"

"It's next week. At 08:00 in the morning."

"In the class schedule, Elle?"

"Yes! I only had this time available; if not there would be the vacancy in a month."

"Is your case so urgent that you cannot wait?" Mom was a little reluctant until she finally agreed. It was one of the most difficult conversations I had with her. Miss school was just an emergency to her.

In the afternoon, I went once more to Ben's house. For the first time, he showed some photo albums. I searched the album and saw the photo of a boy with a toothless smile. I smiled alone remembering my old neighbor when he was still a child. At the time, my platonic love for him even did not exist.

Ben was that kind of kid any other kid did not want to get close. Ben was not very friendly, except with his old friends. I remember once he threw a rotten egg at the school supervisor. He just was not expelled because his mother convinced the Principal that Ben was hyperactive. Once, which I am sure he does not remember, he had thrown a bag full of dog poop in the backyard of my house. My mother worked this out the best way possible she returned the bag to Mr. and Mrs. Oliveira's home.

12th day

Ben decided to tell me about his first kiss. I did not like when he spoke about girls, it bothered me in my inner being, but I did not stop him from continuing. Benjamin did not like the feeling of his lips touching in another when he was 11 years of age. He thought it was strange and washed his mouth right away. He liked the second kiss that occurred not long after.

In his words, he discovered at fifteen years old that he was handsome. He did like the way that the girls stared him and how they hit on him. Your ego has increased a little since then. With many girls available, it took a while until love reached his heart. If he knew that loving someone was so sore, he would have postponed a little more.