Chapter 9

7th Day

Carla arrived at my house at eight in the morning. She never was late when I needed her for something. It was not difficult to convince her to get up early to come to my house; difficult was to convince my mother to let me go to lunch with people utterly unknown to her. The excuse she made was the fact of the fame of snobbish man that Benjamin's father had. I did not even know that he had this fame. Gossip among neighbors does not take part in my life. It does not mean that my mother is gossiping about the lives of others, she did not even have time for that, but always there is somebody to do so even when you do not want to hear.

Carla's smile showed up every time she showed me one of her dresses. She did not believe that I would wear a dress. A T-shirt and basic jeans were enough for me. I tried on seven dresses until I decide that I would go to lunch at Ben's house with the first one I had tried, I lost my time trying the others. Even though Carla and I wear the same number, I thought the dress was not as elegant on me as it was on her.

I was anxious and kept swinging my legs on the bed. I looked at the clock on the nightstand in seconds.

"Can you stop?" Carla said irritated because of my last look at the clock.

"I am afraid."

"This is very clear. Just be yourself. Better, don't be yourself it is quite likely that you will turn the lunch table," She laughed.

"Carla! You're making me even more nervous," I said alerting her.

"Listen, it's just lunch between friends and family, it's not the lunch for an engagement proposal."

"You're not helping me today," I lay down, and I put the pillow over my face.

"Ok, I will be silent. Please calm down."

I rang the intercom Mrs. Laura answered me. From the other side, she opened the gate for me. I did not expect that any of Ben's parents answered the door. I followed her in slow steps until I reached the entrance, my heart was beating fast, and I held the hem of my dress in a sign of nervousness. I heard the creaking of the door opening, and I was calmer when I saw that was Ben.

He smiled while looked at me. He stared at my feet.

"Great dress," I did not appreciate his compliment because I knew that dress was not great. I had chosen the simplest of all. It was just a pink lacy dress in a very light tone that went to the knee. "You look cool wearing Carla's dress," Ben said and I looked at him incredulously. Ben had just embarrassed me. I could not avoid blushing. I still could not believe that he said this.

"Is it serious that you told me that?" My voice came out like thunder. I clenched my fist wanting to hit in Ben's perfect face and rip off that cynical smile.

"Calm! Peace and love! Let's not discuss. My parents are few centimeters from us."

"Few centimeters, Ben?" He nodded. Damn it! What will they think of me, that I am so poor that I did not have the decency to go a Sunday lunch wearing my dress? "Couldn't you have kept it for yourself?"

"No, that would have corroded me for inside. I saw Carla pass by my house carrying some bags."

"Just because of this you deduced that the dress wasn't mine?"

"No, I just think that it is more like Carla. The dress is not your style it is very angelic. What seems to be your style is just a ponytail and your black sneakers," He smiled. What did he mean by all this? That I do not seem to be angelic.

"You want me to leave, don't you?"

"I don't, princess. Come in!" Ben turned the wheelchair and entered the house. I followed him still determined to hit his face. My determination ended when I saw him: