Chapter 11

Elle

8th Day

I woke up grumpy and unwilling go to school, but by having a mother like mine, that meant that I had to be willing instantly. I tried to persuade her in every way possible, but my attempts were all in vain. My mother would not let stay at home if not because of some illness.

I arrived at school, and I sat in my usual place. Benjamin entered the classroom with that silly smile that sometimes I hated. I did not answer when he called my name, and Ben did not insist. I still trying to understand all that was said yesterday. I did not accept the fact of what Benjamin had lied about the accident, mainly because he had put his father's freedom at risk, because of a friend that did not care about him at all.

What I hated the most in this whole story was the way that he spoke of his ex-girlfriend. She was only the bitch that abandoned him, but the way that he talked about her just showed me how much he still liked her. It was the worse to me.

I pretended to be asleep during the first two classes. It was the class of teacher Carlos; then he would not mind if I kept my face on the table.

In school, there is a tree in the yard whose graceful shadow is much disputed on break time. I had succeeded in getting there first. Some students came to me, they insulted me and asked me to leave, but for the first time, I used the fact they are afraid of my mother in my favor. I said that if they did not leave me alone, I would talk to my mother. This method worked perfectly. Nobody disturbed me anymore until Ben and Carla arrived. I wanted to be alone, and this was becoming impossible with them trying deciphering which was my problem.

"What happened?" Carla asked worriedly. She knew me every gesture, and she knew something had happened.

"She didn't speak to me today," Ben said to Carla trying to know if she knew the reasons I am like this.

"So, you better go outside," Carla was brief, how only she knew how to be with Ben.

"I won't, you go," He retorted.

"The friend is mine, nosy."

"Is it serious that you will continue with this?" I finally decided to say something.

"With whom will you want speak?" Carla put me against the wall. It was not a choice that I wanted to make. What I wanted was only stay alone.

"Carla, I do not recognize you."

"Just say what this jerk did to you yesterday."

"This jerk did nothing, pretty.

"Do not call me pretty," Carla stared Ben with a look full of contempt.

"Okay, ugly," I could not stop laughing. I still was trying to find out what I saw in Benjamin.

"Elle, I do not believe that you are laughing at this.

"Okay, I stop," I said trying to disguise my smile.

"So?"

"Will you tell me what happened?" Benjamin stared at me, while Carla persuaded me trying to find out what happened. Ben was afraid that I would tell everything.

"I need to talk to Ben," Carla looked at me not believing that I preferred talking to Ben than with her.

Carla left us alone, but she was still little reluctant. I knew that later I would have to make up some lame excuse to her.

"Are you mad at me?" Ben asked while adjusted the wheelchair to be face to face with me. I hated his habit to talk looking at the eyes.

"A little."