2.ii

When Fíli arrived, the common room was empty, save for the elf. She sat beside the fire, as silent and still as she did even when others were in the room. Among so many strangers, and dwarves at that, she must be uncomfortable, and Fíli admired her for facing them all, night after night. It would have been easier, he supposed, simply to hide in her room. But then, Kíli did show her enough attention to make up for the coolness of the others.

Where his brother was tonight, Fíli didn't know, but he was grateful to have a moment to speak to Tauriel alone.

She looked up as he approached, her eyes shifting from distant thoughts to focus on his face. "Good evening, Master Fíli," she addressed him.

He smiled briefly at her formality. If she were making up for her part in imprisoning him, the gesture was well-chosen. As much as it embarrassed him to admit it, his pride was still somewhat bruised by the condescendingly efficient handling he had received from the wood elves. Though he no longer resented Tauriel personally, he still could not forget she was one of them.

"Miss Tauriel, may I join you?" Fíli indicated the empty space on the bench next to her.

She nodded, and he sat.

Fíli had never had much chance to study her before; there had always been too many other people near, too much going on, to really look at her. Green eyes and hair like burnished copper—that had been his brother's first description of her. Her eyes, he saw, were tilted up slightly at the outer corners; their shape was exotic and lovely and very elven. The firelight gave an attractive warmth to her pale skin, and it made her hair glow, proving Kíli's words true. Whatever else his brother was, he was not blind: Tauriel was lovely.

After a few moments, Fíli began, "I never got to thank you properly for everything you did for us in Laketown. Thank you for defending us and saving my brother's life."

"You are most welcome," she said softly.

"Perhaps you saved my life, as well. If Kíli hadn't been behind me on Ravenhill—"

He'd have been taken and slain; and then how could Thorin, standing alone, have defeated Azog? Surely not without losing his own life.

"At any rate," Fíli added, chasing dark thoughts away with a quick grin, "Mum surely would have murdered me if anything had happened to Kíli while I was supposed to be looking out for him."

"She could hardly fault your love," Tauriel assured him.

"It wasn't Mum's choice that we came on this quest. I think it was right that we did, but... Our dad is dead, you know," he finished, by way of explanation.

Tauriel nodded. "I guessed that." After a moment, she added, "I hardly deserve the honor, but I'm glad I could spare you another loss."

"Why did you save him?"

Even in the firelight, Fíli could see her face go red.

"How could I have done less?" That wasn't the full answer, the true answer that Fíli had asked for, and she seemed to know it. Taking a breath, she went on, "Kíli gave me something I had not known for a long time. His hope and wonder are untainted by the world's darkness, and I was drawn to that in him."

"But do you love him?" Fíli felt uncomfortable asking her so directly, but he remained intent.

"What I feel for Kíli, I have not felt for anyone before. I am almost afraid to name it... But I assure you, I find my desires answer his own. And I care far too much to trifle with him."

"I believe you. And, err..." He knew he had pressed her over a very personal matter. "Thank you for telling me. Nobody else is going to support you when they find out. So I just had to be sure."

She laid her hand over his. "Thank you, Fíli, for trusting me, both back then and now."

He nodded. "I do like you," he said, and they regarded each other somewhat awkwardly for a few more moments before Fíli rose, bowed over her hand, and wished her good night.