7.ii

A few nights later, after everyone had been settled into their new accommodations, Dís had joined her brother and sons in Thorin's rooms and had the full account of their journey. She had let them do most of the talking, interjecting only now and then with questions. Though they downplayed the more dangerous parts of the tale, Thorin was sure she guessed the truth of the perils they had all faced well enough. But she did not press them for more details; it seemed enough for her that, in the end, they had made it safely through all. Dwelling on what was done would make no difference now.

Dís remained behind after her boys had kissed her and gone to bed. She and Thorin had talked lightly for a few minutes over the small news of Ered Luin and Erebor before lapsing into a comfortable, familiar silence. Thorin realized he had missed her a great deal; it was good simply having someone to share the stillness of the room. He wondered briefly how she had stood the lonely quiet of her home, without Fíli and Kíli there to make things merry or, at least, noisy.

"Tell me, brother," Dís began at last, her gaze very intent on him now. "I've noticed that something stands between my sons, and between them and you. What is it?"

"Has Kíli not told you?"

"Not told me what?" He heard the light note of challenge in her voice; she expected him to answer her.

"He's attached himself to an elf." Best not dance around the fact; she would find out soon enough, from others if not from him or Kíli.

"The woman who saved his life," she reasoned. She was taking the news remarkably well.

Thorin nodded.

"Is there any chance she returns his affection?" she asked. The direction of her question surprised Thorin. But of course, she was a mother.

"I'm fairly certain she does," Thorin told her.

Dís raised a brow.

"Well, she'd hardly have been kissing him if she didn't, would she?" he grumbled after a moment, flustered.

Dís, to his astonishment, did not bat an eye. "And so you told him," she guessed, "that he must not love her."

"What else was there to say?" His reasoning sounded suddenly inadequate before her.

"Thorin..." Dís sighed, as if there was too much she could say.

"He can't place an elf before his duty and kin," Thorin clarified.

"Did he?" She sounded almost as if she were daring him to affirm it.

"Dís, Kíli nearly renounced us all for her."

"What?" For the first time, her face did go blank.

"I asked him to remember his loyalty to his kin, and he said he would rather lose his heritage than give her up," he continued reluctantly.

"My son risked his life and body for you, and yet you doubt his loyalty?" she demanded, all her outrage focused on Thorin now.

"I know what he has given and I value him all the more for it!" He took a slow breath, and when he went on, his voice was calmer. "But don't you see? He cannot choose an elf. It doesn't matter if he loves her..."

"It doesn't matter?" Dís's eyes flashed. "Don't you dare say love doesn't matter. You've never had anyone like that, so how would you know?"

She rose from her seat and stared down at him.

"Thorin, do you understand why my two boys are worth far more to me than any treasure that hands have made or swords have won?" Her voice shook slightly. "They were my gift for loving someone."

Dís gave her brother one last withering glare and then swept out of the room.